Hello from Christine and Spy

grfcorgis

Hi all,

We just found this forum and look forward to getting to know you. Spy is my 15 month Pembroke Welsh Corgi boy. I have focused on competition Agility training - only flat work mostly due to his age - with some exposure to herding.

I am recuperating from a broken long bone in my foot. I am in week 5 of a 10 week healing process and need ideas for tricks and other training ideas I can do while sitting on the floor or in a chair. Spy has been clicker trained so is very good at learning. His age is difficult as his attention level has really taken a nose dive, so he needs lots of stimulation (being unaltered does not help - but he is a potential show dog so needs all his parts - at least for now!).

All ideas welcome!

Christine and Spy:dogbiggrin:

snooks

Experienced Member
Targeting with paw and nose, then advancing to targeting named objects like touch bone, paw ball etc are very fun for a smart dog like a Corgi. Spins right/left (needed later for agility turns), shake with both paws, roll over, back up, crawl, following a target stick for later work like weave poles, retrieving a training pocket which you may use later for agility, walking over strange things like hoola hoops, yardsticks, and wood dowels as he will do similar things in agility too. You can work on recall and go around objects like a bucket or a chair. You can also teach go (straight out in front away from you), and out (away to side in the way that you point you can teach with a training treat pocket too. You throw and the dog has to bring it back to get the treats. You can also shape contacts with rope on the floor or paper squares. Just ideas to give you a jump on agility. I sympathize with the foot; I spent 2 months on crutches after doing the same thing a few years back. No fun.