Having Trouble With "your Feet On Mine"...

milesfullofsmiles

I'm having difficulties teaching Miles to cop-cop/put his feet on mine. He's a Corgi, so he's short, and his feet are even shorter. :) Another disadvantage is that he's really long. His legs are just to stubby to reach both of my feet! Also, he seems to still be uncomfortable between my legs. Only if I have a decent-sized treat will he finally decide to come, and he scampers back as soon as he can. I have had four training sessions teaching him the cop-cop, and he's not making progress. And I have to lean down all the way every time since he's so short. I get lightheaded a lot.:D Will he ever be able to learn it, or is his body structure preventing him?

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
I don't think it is all about body structure - I think it is about comfort...like you said he is not comfortable being between your feet...this is the problem - you're trying to go too far, too fast. Get him comfortable between your feet - then try....these might help:

I really like this method for smaller dogs:

southerngirl

Honored Member
The corgi in this video does cop cop, so I'm sure yours can too:D
You might want to focus on getting Miles comfortable being between your legs before you try to get him to do the trick.
For Missy I worked on her placing her feet on a book, before I had her go between my legs. First I had her follow me across two books(she was hesatent to put her feet on the book so I made it a game) I would run across them and Missy would follow me after she was comfortable doing that I removed a book and worked with her putting her front feet on it. I used the same video pawtential posted.

milesfullofsmiles

Awwww that is such a cute corgi! But now I know that it IS possible. I'm thinking that maybe I should wait until Miles is older and his legs get a little longer...after all he is still a puppy. :)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
When i first got my dog, he wanted nothing to do with cop-cop. I guess he did not quite entirely trust me 100% back then. For *him*, at that time in his rehab, it was "asking too much".
A year later, he was completely fine with learning cop-cop.
If this dog is new to you, who knows, maybe find another trick for now, and teach cop-cop later on.

EDIT, nevermind, your dog is a puppy, nevermind!:ROFLMAO:

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
cop cops taking a while with Bella so far she only taps my feet with one paw but then again i havent done much work on it yet.

milesfullofsmiles

Wow! I'm taking a break right now, but I'm actually teaching Miles right NOW! The book helped sooooooo much! He is putting usually his right paw on my foot, but I'm coaxing him into doing it with his left paw, too. I guess it's because he does 'paw' with his right paw. I will also have to teach 'left paw' sometime....

Thanks everyone! The tips really helped!

Honored Member
I've tried cop-cop with Holly once. I skipped the book bit and she would put her feet on mine as long as there was a treat in front of her face :LOL: (she is a pug X, and is pretty short, she's 5.7kg so resonably small - our cat's are all taller than her ;) ).

But she could already do figure eights around my legs and weaving around my legs as I walk (she never hesitated to go between my legs when I tought these - but she is very confident).

So maybe teach other tricks to increase your puppys confidence first, especially figure eights etc that require the dog to go between your legs but isn't as confined a space.
Maybe that would help?