Guess What I Found In The Park This Morning

brody_smom

Experienced Member
When I was taking Brody through the park behind our house at 6:30 this morning, I noticed a young dog in the exit we normally use. Brody didn't see it, so I quickly turned around and put him in my yard and closed the gate. I went to investigate, and found a very frightened puppy sitting beside the chain link fence, with its extension leash tied to the top of it. She gave a little growl, but no bark. I thought maybe the owner had to run back home for some reason, so I left the puppy, got Brody and took another route to the school yard. After 45 minutes of fetch, we were walking home and I could see that the pup was still there. I took Brody home, fed him, had breakfast and so on. About 9:30, I decided to go back and check if the puppy was still there. She was. I went and got some food and water and took my daughter with me to see what we should do. We put the food and water down a couple feet from her, then just sat back and waited for her to do something. She didn't move for the longest time, so I sent my daughter home to get some more food that we could toss a little closer to her. Once we had done that, she quickly ate the food and ventured right up to the bowl. This was when I noticed that she wasn't even attached to the leash. She had been sitting there that whole time when she could have run away. She then came bounding right up to us, eating food out of our hands, climbing in our laps and licking our faces. I went to untie the leash and found that it was attached to the biggest choke chain I had ever seen in my life! The chain was just lying on the ground right where the puppy had been sitting. She quickly gulped down all the food we had brought, plus a bowl of water. We took her home with us, and checked her over a bit. She looks like she could be a german shepherd/pit bull mix. She has mostly baby teeth still, but very long claws, all of them black. She was very friendly and cuddly, a little bouncy, but obviously fairly well cared for. When we realized we couldn't keep her here because of Brody, I went to talk to my neighbors, who had told me they were planning on getting a puppy. They said they couldn't take her either, because their puppy was arriving today, but their neighbor on the other side said she might like to have her. Then the lady arrived with the new puppy, and a friend that was with her jumped at the chance to take this young pup. My neighbor emailed a picture of her to his brother who trains security dogs, and knows a lot of dog people, so he was sure he could find someone to take her. My neighbor offered to keep her until one of these potential adopters decided to take her home. No ear tattoo, no tags. What kind of person does something like this?

southerngirl

Honored Member
Wow poor puppy. It's a good thing you found her, someone else may have taken her to the pound. I'm glad her story will have a happy ending.

Some people are just plain messed up. They get a dog, can't afford it or realize it's harder to take care of them than they thought so they dump the poor dog.:(

jackienmutts

Honored Member
So glad you helped the poor little thing. There's gotta be a special place in he!! for people who abandon puppies like that - at least if they took it to a pound or shelter, it would have had a chance. If you hadn't have see her, no telling what would have happened. At least she has a chance of a good life now. Job well done!!

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I wish I'd gotten a picture of her, she's was so cute. And what a transformation after she ate the first piece of kibble. She had been sitting pressed up against the fence, shivering, but as soon as she ate, she just relaxed and moved toward the next piece until she reached the bowl. She scarfed the whole bowl down, then wiggled up to my daughter and climbed in her lap to get more food! I'm so thankful that my neighbors are dog people and were willing to take over finding her a home. I gave them some kibble and a couple of chew toys, but I didn't even introduce Brody to her. I actually tried to call the SPCA, just in case she had been stolen, but they weren't picking up, and they never return phone calls. I'll check in today to see who is going to take her in.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you so much for being the puppy's 'good samaritan'. I agree Jackie, has to be a special, very nasty place for people like that! Poor baby, no knowing what may have become of her if you hadn't come along Brody's Mom.

Do let us know when she finds her 'furever' home. She'll never forget your kindness though. She sounds like a little angel, so sweet.:love:

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Looks like our neighbor 2 doors down has taken her in. She was the first one to offer, but had to wait until her husband came home to say for sure. She recently lost an elderly dachshund, and her husband told her he wanted a new dog, but it had to be medium to large, no more small dogs. Our next door neighbor also got a new puppy, mom is a min pin mix, dad rottweiler mix. Three pups delivered by c-section, but poor little mom couldn't produce enough milk, so they are on puppy formula. So now there are 15 dogs living in the 9 houses in our immediate vicinity.