Getting Back To Training

kumagirl

Hi I have just lost a gorgeous dog who was my pride and joy. Kuma was a sheltie and I was lucky enough to have the time and help to train her to be a great family pet.
I now feel I need to commit to training our other dog we have in the family she has been neglected with training due to time with the little humans needing potty training. I was showed how to train originally using a correction collar but really want to use the reward method. I have read the free book and started training my young dog shelby but am having some issues.
What is the best way to get some guidance on issues. The first one is that shelby was jumping up all the time, I had made some head way on this before starting reward training but now she is always jumping as she thinks I have treats even when we are not training , Please help.

Mutt

Experienced Member
Welcome to the forum :)
Nice to hear you want to train positive!
How do you train now if I may ask? Do you use a clicker or 'clickword'?
Does she do the jumping only when you have treats or also just to greet people for instance?
If the dog jumps up I'd turn away, say nothing and ignore her. If she stays on the ground, reward her (I'd use food as the reward since your voice might make her excited and therefore it tempting to jump).
Jumping means not getting any attention or treats.
I'd also work with her on impuls control. Meaning that she has to wait untill you give her permission to go the temptation.

kumagirl

Hi thanks for answering!!
Up until the last week the correction collar was my method but I am now using word commands and then feed reward. She jumps up when people come and when we tell her off she stops but only for as long as she knows we are there to control her. I am interested in the clicker but don't know how you use them. i watched the video am them but when do you stop treating after every click? When it comes to rewarding her staying down dose she have to be sitting or just not jumping? I am not sure what you mean by the last point can you explain that a bit more Please
Thanks for. You help

Mutt

Experienced Member
A click always means a treat, even is it is by mistake.
However you don't always have to use the clicker.
If my dogs have learned the behavior I switch to my voice (and a treat). A sit I will not reward with a treat (only with voice or not at all). But a complex trick will still get them a reward here.

I'd go for just not the jumping (in the end you want people to enter and the dog will only walk past them).
But you can start by letting her sit first to make it easier.

Example of impuls control:
My dogs have to waite untill I put their foodbowls on the ground and give them the okay. Untill than they have to sit and waite. They may look at the food, but not eat it. Eye contact is always a good thing but not a rquirement.
It may happen that I have to get someting from inside and the dogs have to stay outside (for example when I walk in town). I than will tie their leashes to something and leave. If I come back, the dogs have to patiently waite untill I give them a pet (reward them with my voice), jumping etc. is not 'allowed'.
So impuls control means that the dog has to patiently wait (control himself) eventhough there is something very temping (food, doordashing etc.)

Something from another tread (not by me) about how you can learn impuls control:
As for impulse control, this is an ongoing battle. Working on it though! I wonder if you guys have better ideas for methods or if I'm doing it right..? Right now I put her in a sit-stay or down-stay and use one of her toys(one of her favorites) and put it in front of her. If she doesn't go for it then I say okay and let her play with it. I've tried treats before, but if I don't correct her fast enough for getting up, they're gone faster than I can try to get her to drop it. The toy she'll reliably drop immediately and work for/be motivated to stay for it, so I hope that's the right thing to use that instead of food. Once she reliably stays when it's still, I start moving it around a bit. If she stays, I'll say 'okay!' and she gets some play time with it. And so on. I'm not sure if this is something I should implement the clicker on since the clicker is more food related(praise wise) and I think she'd be in 'treat mode' if I did. I haven't tried, but is that correct? Also, when I so the impulse control stuff, should I wait for eye contact before praising and releasing her or is it(in your opinion) okay for her to be focused on the toy?
You are on the right way with the impuls control right now! You could use the food as a distraction if she gets better at it. A clicker isn't really nessecary as it isn't a behavior which requires precision and if you have the idea it will make it harder for her I wouldn't use it (I personally don't use it with these kind of behaviors).
For me impuls control means acting controlled in a situation. So the dog has to keep calm and stay were he is and not give in to the temptation. If I want them to look at me, than I will ask for 'focus'. But it isn't a requirement. My dogs have to waite before they may eat untill I give the releasecue for example. Sometimes I ask for a focus before releasing them, so they will now watch at me once in a while in the hope that this will earn them their release. Eye contact is always a good thing here (especially if they want something from me), but not a requirement. I also sometimes just keep a treat in my hand with a stretched arm (away from me). I don't say anything than but the dogs will immediately look at me in order to get their treat.
I think it would be benificial for you to check out these youtube channels:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/kikopup[/URL]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/pamelamarxsen[/URL]

MaryK

Honored Member
Mutt has given you very good advice. Plus the vids are awesome.

I would just like to add that to gain longer 'duration' with anything, you can use 'yes' as a bridge then offer the treat. Don't make the dog wait too long at first, just half a second, but once they've 'got it' then you can increase the length of time after saying 'yes'.

Dogster

Honored Member
Welcome!!!:)

Instead of punishing your dog for jumping up when she does, teach your dog to do what you want her to do (sitting, waiting patiently, going to their bed/mat,...) Here is a really great kikopup video on how to stop jumping up.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Welcome! I'm so happy to hear you're interested in positive training!

I will post some links to videos tomorrow. For now, Mutt gave you some pretty great tips, you should try them out. ;)