Games For Dogs?

charmedwolf

Staff member
So, my boss has request my help. She wants me to make a "game/activity" that covers all the basic on obedience.

She wants me to teach it in a class so I would like to have a plan. I don't want to be teaching a game blind because that's how I usually make games up :oops:. It can be any where for 15 to 30 minutes. I think that all of you guys would have at least some idea for me :D

Mutt

Experienced Member
What would be the purpose of the game?
I know a hide&search and waite&name game, but I don't know what you are looking for?

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
I think CW's talking about a single activity or game that involves the basic level 1 class stuff: sit, down, lie down, stay, come?

LeviTheOutlaw

When Levi and I were in an obedience training class, there was a great game that the whole class played with their dogs. On graduation day we had a playoff and the person/dog team who won got a trophy. It was a blast. Here's what the game consisted of.

Dog gets put in sit/stay. person has a paper plate on the ground about 12 to 15 feet away from dog and walks to plate and drops a treat in the plate. then person walks back to dog (who should be sitting patiently) and tells dog "go get it" dog races to plate, eats treat and races back to person (who has another treat in hand) and as soon as dog gets to person and sits facing person, dog gets treat.

of coarse we worked on this thru out the training coarse. At first the paper plate could only be a foot or 2 away and we worked up to longer distances. We also had to find the treat that really motivated our dogs to move fast. For Levi that was bits of hotdog.

On graduation day, we raced in heats. and it was a blast.

LeviTheOutlaw

Glad you like it. Levi still loves to play it. We pull that game out on rainy days when we need something to do inside.

Anneke

Honored Member
The amazing sit, down, stand game.
You will need two mats large enough for a dog to stand on, per dog.
Start with two contenders. Handler places mat in front of the dog and has the dog sit on the mat. Then handler puts the second mat in front of the dog and has the dog lie down on it. Then handler takes the first mat and places it in front of the dog and the dog must stand on it. And so on, maybe repeat twice or three times.
Rules: the dog is not allowed to move off the mat. First dog to have one or more feet off the mat, loses.
Handlers may not physsically manipulate the dog. Treats may be used.

Tips: Instead of mats, use large cardboard(like flat cardboard boxes)
Make the race all about sit, or just down, or just stand.

The barrell race:
Three targets(traffic cones, chairs, or anything you can circle around)
Handler and dog have to circle all three targets while heeling.
Tips: Handler and dog are running.
Variations: Sit at first target, handler has to circle dog while in sit, then heel to second target.
Down at second target, handler circles dog, then heel to third target.
Stand at second target, handler circles dog, dog has to stay. Handler walks away for recall.
Or any variation you can think of.
Handler and dog who complete the course fastest are the winners.

charmedwolf

Staff member
Levi and Anneke nailed it!! Really good suggestions guys.

It's just something to make the people in class feel like they have accomplished something useful and fun. I've just been having the hardest time in the world thinking of anything.