Frosty The Snow Dog Maltese Mix

Simply Superb Dog

He is an adult male that I adopted from a local animal shelter. I got him to detect low and high blood glucose on my 5 year old son. He is doing great with that. He has been right on often. He often jumps up on me telling me something is up. I will got to check my sons blood sugar and he will follow me and stay with me until I am done. He also stays with me when I have to give insulin shots. He does not jump up on me just sits and waits until I am finished. He is learning "place" and wait. He is very attached to my 5 year old. It is amazing how he immediately knew he was there for my son. He does get his guard dog on at times...we are working on changing that. One behaviour we are really needing to change is he guards my sons food.:confused:
Just now let Frosty in. Where does he always go when he first comes in.....straight to my son. As if to check up on him. Frosty Rocks!!!(y) I thank God for every tool he sends my way to help me help my son.:love:

Simply Superb Dog

What abeautiful story:) . Frosty is wonderful and it just goes to show that shelter dogs are very intelligent. Love him:love:
Thank you! I hope to get the word out that you can train your own dog and that dogs from animal shelter aren't second best. Hope to encourage people to go to an animal shelter to get their pets and even their service dogs.

Dogster

Honored Member
Welcome!!!:D Frosty sounds like an amazing dog. It sounds like Frosty and your son are inseperable. So sweet.:love: We would love to see some more pics of Frosty!!!:) I would love to know, how did you train Frosty to detect your son's blood glucose levels? I would love to know.

Simply Superb Dog

In training him the alerts is just like "capturing" a behavior. Which eventually gets connected to high and low BG's. Something he just seemed show different' behavior with fluctuating blood sugars naturally. This is a picture of Frosty getting my attention which brought me to check my sons blood glucose.
DSCN3803.JPG

MaryK

Honored Member
Frosty is such a beautiful boy as well. I'm so happy you and your son have rescued such an amazing little dog. :):love:

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
That is so cool that he is able to alert you when your son's sugar level is getting out of whack! Did he have to be trained to do that? He is a darling little dog!