Freestyler & List Newbie Stuck On Paw To Nose

yellerlab

I've been in freestyle for many years. I love teaching my own dogs tricks and teaching tricks to classes. We are stuck on paw to nose. I have taught this to several other dogs with no problem.

I've clicked on paw reaches and when he touches the tiny post-it with his paw to take it off his nose. Yet, the criteria between asking for paw reaches and paw to nose is too high. What can I ask for that is in between these two behaviors?

Ask for a shake paw close to his nose? Tried tickling him with the tape.
freestyle b & w.jpeg

This seems like an easy thing to teach compared to freestyle!

Evie

Experienced Member
Hi and welcome!!!

I'm not 100% sure on exactly what it is that you're stuck on. You're wanting your dog (what's his name?!) to put his paw over his nose and to hold it there? If that's what you're trying to do, there's been a few people (including myself) who've had problems trying to get this lol. I've gotten Evie to the point where she will swipe her paw over her nose, this was also initially taught using the post-it notes on her nose. To get the duration, have you tried teaching your dog how to target with his paw, but then to hold that movement for a period of time? So like a 'paw-target-with-duration'?

Oh and by the way, we here at the DTA LOVE doggy pics and we'd love to see some more pics of your boy.

yellerlab

Thanks for the videos! We are getting stuck at the point the gentle leader (or post-it, or tape) comes off. Oliver reverts to pawing at me instead of his nose. I'm asking too much of him at that point but I don't know how to back up without putting the gentle leader back on. I've worked with him with post-its for quite a while. They work great until I stop using them.
DSCN9718.JPG

MaryK

Honored Member
I'm having the same problem and my boy also wears a gentle leader/halti. I am wondering if this is the problem, they're too used to having something over/on their nose, so don't worry about it unless cued.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Hmmmm have you tried wriggling the halti with your finger see if that gets a response, alos are you trying it from a down - its easier to teach in a down i think

MaryK

Honored Member
Hmmmm have you tried wriggling the halti with your finger see if that gets a response, alos are you trying it from a down - its easier to teach in a down i think
Yes *sigh* so far I've tried everything and also used the video above. For a dog who normally 'get's it' very quickly, this is one he's just not getting at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've tried it from the down position, sit position even standing right up on hind legs, he does 'say your prayers' easily from this position, in fact prefers it to the sit position, all to no avail. We're still not getting it.:rolleyes:

Anneke

Honored Member
:D There is a topic on this somewhere on the forum...
My dogs simply can't do the trick while sitting. I have tried and tried, but they just can't do it.
I tried tape, post it, hairbands, but they pawed them off and never made the connection between the click and touching their nose. So I had two different problems with this trick.
I started using the gentle leader(they both hate it!) like Dice shows in her vid. And I had them in a down. And now they can do it!
But I had to give up on the trick I had in mind. A dog doing a sit up, with it's paw on it's nose...
So now it is a dog lying down, tucking his nose under it's paw:D
Jinx is getting really good at it, even getting some duration in. Cooper finds it a bit difficult, but he also tucks his nose under his paw now.

Dogster

Honored Member
Hmm, Shivon struggled a bit with this trick, it took her a month-2 months to learn it. I used a post-it, or tape. The hardest part was transitioning from tape to no tape.
How about putting a treat on the dog's nose? Maybe some dogs will take it off with their paw...

MaryK

Honored Member
Hmm, Shivon struggled a bit with this trick, it took her a month-2 months to learn it. I used a post-it, or tape. The hardest part was transitioning from tape to no tape.
How about putting a treat on the dog's nose? Maybe some dogs will take it off with their paw...
If Shivon took that long, there's hope for us all!

That's a good idea, putting a treat on the dog's nose. Will try that one as Ra Kismet LOVES his treats, so I am sure he'll use his paw to swipe it off - then I guess click and treat???

yellerlab

We finally got it after a few days. My first dog got it within 5 minutes! I just kept repeating the click when the tape was on. Then, the third day, after a good night's rest, Oliver got it! He still tries to do the trick sometimes without completely touching his nose so I have to be quick and look closely.

Mutt

Experienced Member
First of al welcome to DTA :)
Glad Oliver and you pulled it of.

@MaryK,
I would go for muscle memory, so doing the trick with the tape as long untill the dog will start pawing because of the same movement over and over again (I do this to teach head movements) and after that remove the tape other than that I have no tips (haven't taught this one yet either).

fickla

Experienced Member
If you're not having luck with putting something on the dog's nose like discussed, it is possible to free shape this trick as well. Easier to start with the dog in a down versus a sit, and first click the dog for any movement of their feet while still down. After that's established, you can add the criteria of the dog's head starting to dip lower and lower.

MaryK

Honored Member
First of al welcome to DTA :)
Glad Oliver and you pulled it of.

@MaryK,
I would go for muscle memory, so doing the trick with the tape as long untill the dog will start pawing because of the same movement over and over again (I do this to teach head movements) and after that remove the tape other than that I have no tips (haven't taught this one yet either).
Thank you Mutt. So even if Ra Kismet sits there looking at me as if I've totally 'lost it' with the pink sticky note on his nose, just keep waiting right until he finally paws at it???

Mutt

Experienced Member
Does Ra Kismet already know to paw at a post it on cue?
Than I would ask for that and start with the post it very close to its nose and than put it on its nose

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you Fickla, I will try free shaping. I do already work from the down position.

Mutt no he doesn't DUH didn't think to start with that!!!!!!! Thank you.

One way or another he'll 'get it' probably when I 'get' how to train it properly:rolleyes: