Fetch Chase

southerngirl

Honored Member
Lately Chase has been leaving the backyard; going to the front yard, the trail, next door. When we call him he either is ignoring us or he can't hear. So my thought is maybe I can teach Missy to herd him or block him. She used to "herd" her puppies into a certain areas and she "herds" the cats. What I would like her to do is block him if he tries to leave the yard and if he does "herd" him back on command. Do you think this could work, if so how would I teach this. It would be a cool trick and would be helpful. We don't leash him because we don't have the time in the morning and he enjoys being off -leash (he practically is never leashed).

sara

Staff member
I'm not sure how you would teach it (not being a herding dog person myself) but I tried to teach Oliver to get Mouse when I wanted her (I'm inherently lazy and though that if I could teach Ollie to run and hit Mouse with his paw and then I give Mouse a cookie, she'd learn that that was a recall cue) except it was impossible to teach at a distance by myself because as soon as I get food out, Mouse comes running... so it turned into a really cute trick that youall know as "whack Mouse" LOL

Mutt

Experienced Member
To be honost I wouldn't go for this approach. Not only because I can imagine Chase not being amused to be treated like cattle (dogs often don't like being herd), but also because chances are that he would go back as soon as he has returned (and missy has to do it all over again).
But that is just me ;)
Fencing the yard would be my choice, though I understand from your other posts that this isn't really an option? I think he can't hear you due to age.

MaryK

Honored Member
It may well be his hearing. If you think this is the case, get a dog whistle, two short blasts, one long blast is recommended.

MaryK

Honored Member
My brothers have noticed he responds to them when they whistle(me and my special self can't)
I can't whilst either:( Well a very pathetic 'noise' if I'm lucky. I'd def get a dog whistle, I think it's his hearing, Zeus is having the same problem at times, though not with coming inside as he's always 'waiting' to come inside again. But other times 'he's deaf' and then kinda gives a little start, so it's more than likely Chase has a slight hearing problem. Especially as this is just a recent thing.

Dogs hear a whistle more easily, even ones with full hearing, and if he's answering to your Brothers' whistles then that could well be the answer.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I'll try the whistle. I'm still going to put a very short leash on Chase and have Missy bring him back because it's a cute trick and just encase Chase decides he wants to take a stroll instead of coming. Do you think the dog whistle app would work?

MaryK

Honored Member
I'll try the whistle. I'm still going to put a very short leash on Chase and have Missy bring him back because it's a cute trick and just encase Chase decides he wants to take a stroll instead of coming. Do you think the dog whistle app would work?
Agree, that would be a cute trick in itself, as well as helping Chase to not roam:D And both dogs get a reward! Win Win!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I would think an app would work just as well. Haven't tried one but cannot see why it wouldn't work. Give it a try and let us know how the app works please.

Dice Smith

Having Missy bring him back on a short leash will definitely be so adorable and so useful!!:love:I agree with MaryK, it's a win-win situation for both dogs. There's no way you could go wrong with that! ;) And a video will be super cute to watch to if you happen to get one. :)

I got a few different whistle apps that I use for Kodi. They work great, especially when we're outside (if he's obsessed with something he doesn't "hear me" LOL. I haven't taught him a very good recall :pHe finds our neighbors dogs barking far more interesting than me calling him back for treats :rolleyes: but the whistle apps work great!! ) For some reason I was never able to find an actual whistle at the petstore though that's probably because I get preoccupied by all of the awesome dog toys and adoptable kittens. :rolleyes: :D I'm like Kodi, I have a short attention span and get distracted easily. :ROFLMAO: :p :ROFLMAO: