Evie's Tricks & Training

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Very impressive! And Evie is very cute! And I like the cat too. :) He/she wants you to teach her/him tricks too! ;)

Evie

Experienced Member
Thanks guys :)

Credit all goes to Evie though, for being so awesome :p

Believe or not though brodys mum, Evie shuts down REALLY quickly when training if she can't figure out what's going on, she's never been good at trying new things by herself and really requires a LOT of praise and encouragement from me to keep her working :p

Once she's mastered a trick though, that's a different story, then it's all fun and games, but the actual learning... easier said than done if she finds it tricky. Although the older she gets the better at that she's getting too :)

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Thanks guys :)

Credit all goes to Evie though, for being so awesome :p

Believe or not though brodys mum, Evie shuts down REALLY quickly when training if she can't figure out what's going on, she's never been good at trying new things by herself and really requires a LOT of praise and encouragement from me to keep her working :p

Once she's mastered a trick though, that's a different story, then it's all fun and games, but the actual learning... easier said than done if she finds it tricky. Although the older she gets the better at that she's getting too :)
I would be interested in seeing some videos of border collies in the beginning stages of learning new tricks. So often, when the tricks have been learned already, the dog appears so eager to perform the trick. I wonder how they are at the beginning. When I take out the treat bag and the clicker, Brody's first response, after the initial excitement, is to lie down! He is very slow to offer anything else, maybe because we have done a lot of work on things like "go to your mat" and capturing calmness, etc. It takes a lot of patience to get him to offer anything bouncy, and I struggle with my rate of reinforcement simply because he will default to either lying down or biting the prop.

Linda A

Experienced Member
Very nice video! One of these days I want to put together a video of Royal's tricks/training.