Dog With Severe Allergic Reaction And Taking Prednisone

kimw30

Hey I have a dog who is 4 years old and her name is Prissy and she has been having vomiting and diarrhea all week, she has inflammatory bowel disease and pancreatic insufficiency so I thought that was acting up but yesterday her eyes started swelling and her face and I been noticing for a while her eyes would run water and she would act like she couldnt see very good especially when she went outside and now her fur on her neck and other areas is coming off and she been scratching alot so I carried her to the vet yesterday and he took some tests and said she had a bad allergic reaction, she is allergic to chicken, eggs,dairy products, grain,she is also allergic to grass and beef and lamb so the vet put her on royal canin analallegenic food. The vet also put her on Prednisone and tylan she has SIBO and she is on metroniodazole and gave her a vitamin B12 shot, her skin looks really bad it is red and her fur is coming off. I didnt really want her on Prednisone, I heard people say it isnt very good for dogs but if it will help her I am willing to try it. Does Prednisone make them not have energy, she will not even get up and walk any, which she has been really tired lately and hasnt been playing much, now she is just sleeping all the time except she will wake up for a few minutes and cry and scratch and then she goes back asleep. How long is Prednisone usually used for in a dog and has anybody ever used Royal canin anallergenic food. The vet said her inflaamtory bowel disease is flaring up be also said that a allergic reaction can cause diarrhea and vomiting.

MaryK

Honored Member
Poor little Prissy, now allergies. I cannot answer about Prednisone, even though one of my dogs does have allergies, as he was put on DOGtoxX formula and all his allergies have ended.

She's probably tired because of all the sickness she has experienced. I sure hope that this is the last she has to deal with.

Hoping Prissy is now feeling much better. Get well soon little Prissy, we all care so much for you.:love:

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Oh poor Prissy - and poor you. No experience with the dog food, but used wisely (meaning, for a limited amount of time as opposed to indefinitely), I'm sure Prednisone can help Prissy over this bad 'hump'. As long as you now know what she's allergic to so as to avoid it in the future (is it food?) then I'm sure the Pred will be used only for a short time, and the diet should help. As Mary said, Prissy is probably exhausted - her little body has been thru so much lately. Keep us posted!

MaryK

Honored Member
Oh poor Prissy - and poor you. No experience with the dog food, but used wisely (meaning, for a limited amount of time as opposed to indefinitely), I'm sure Prednisone can help Prissy over this bad 'hump'. As long as you now know what she's allergic to so as to avoid it in the future (is it food?) then I'm sure the Pred will be used only for a short time, and the diet should help. As Mary said, Prissy is probably exhausted - her little body has been thru so much lately. Keep us posted!
Jackie, poor little Prissy is allergic to a heap of things- maybe you forgot this part:)
she is allergic to chicken, eggs,dairy products, grain,she is also allergic to grass and beef and lamb so the vet put her on royal canin analallegenic food.

Poor baby, I sure hope she's now on the road to a full recover. And of course, avoiding all the things she's allergic too.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
DUH!! Yes, I'm so sorry!! (smacking head here). :confused: It was late last night after a very long day, and I had read your post 3 times. Oy. Please keep us posted as to how Prissy's doing.

Is that a prescription food? I've never heard of it, and tried looking it up and couldn't find it. Just wondering....