Dog Powered Scooter & Trike

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
Hey guys,
Recently one of these came up for sale on Craigslist in my area and I started doing some research - I am thinking of investing in one for the business to have a way to really help those high energy dogs whose handlers just can't exercise them enough.

http://www.dogpoweredscooter.com/

Here is the Youtube video for the person listing the item - she says her dog got it in an afternoon. I can see alot of potential in this.

Even goats can do it: :LOL:

Like any tool - if introduced correctly and obvious safety measures taken, can you see any issues with this?

Anneke

Honored Member
Over here in the Netherlands, it is forbidden for dogs, except for husky's and malamutes, to pull a vehicle. But the scooter is making an appearance here. The only difference is we don't have that bracket.
Here ususally the dog is on a Joggingline(belt around the waist of the handler that has the leash attached to it) or a skijoringharnass. Or the dog is attached to the frame of the scooter by a Walkydog http://www.ronaldvankampen.nl/data/imagecache/po-228-3147_0.jpg
http://bhznet.ods.org/bhznet/nieuws/2009/steppen2009.JPG
It is a great way to excersise with your dog.
This summer I want to do a workshop to see if I like it enough to buy one.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I liked the harness thing, but, i would have rather have it attached to a bike that the human can pedal, so the dog is safely running alongside, rather than pulling the 120 lbs to 250 lbs shown in the photos.
what an AWESOME bike-along rig that would be!!! For real, i do think many dogs would be satisfied to RUN, so so few dogs seem to get the chances to run full speed daily. I am not sure that lots of breeds of dogs would need to pull 4 or 5 times their own weight to exercise.
but running, YES, i love to see dogs getting chances to RUN!!!!!!

On Anneke's photos of a gizmo, i'd rather see that attached to a harness on the dog, to prevent any possibility of yanking the dog's neck, even though it looks stretchy, i'd like that better on a chest harness of some type.

STILL, I AM LOVING THE EMPHASIS OF EITHER GIZMO, ON EXERCISING DOGS!!!!!!!:D

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I think the higher grade dog scooters are the pawtrekkers. I wanted one a year or two ago but then I don't live near a trail unfortunately. My dogs would absolutely love it tho! As I had them pull me on skis a few years ago which was fun.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
They make these for ATVs, too, really neat. The ATV ones are really popular for hunters who have several hunting dogs.
This one looks homemade, but there are several designs...you can see why this could be beneficial for hunters that have 10+ dogs.

With the ATVs of course it's a little different, as with many of the bike/scooter attachments the dog pulls the bike/scooter to some extent, whereas with the ATV obviously they CAN'T. Lol. I saw one for an ATV once that was very much like the one you posted, but I can't seem to find that picture now...but it branched out to have room for several dogs.

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
I liked the harness thing, but, i would have rather have it attached to a bike that the human can pedal, so the dog is safely running alongside, rather than pulling the 120 lbs to 250 lbs shown in the photos.
The cool thing about the scooter is it is still human powered - the same as if someone were using it without their dog but with the ride along ability built in. When used properly - it is a form of urban sledding.

There are some cool bike rigs as well - but as people have said - most attach to the dogs collar or harness in a way that could cause danger if something went wrong.

Or - if you just wanted to take your dog with you - why not tow them along in style? :ROFLMAO:

Dogster

Honored Member
It's not for exercising, but I should still get something like that for Shivon.... she loves sticking her head out the car window soo...:ROFLMAO: Also, would there be something inside to attach the dog to??? I'm wondering 'cause Shivon would definately jump out.:rolleyes:

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
I am probably getting one of thous bike rigs because we will be doing a lot of biking when we go camping to New Brunswick!:D