Dog Park

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I finally got around to taking Remi to the dog park. We took him to the small dog area, and he loved it! I have never seen him so relaxed around that many dogs, there was a good 10-15 dogs before we went home. He didn't show any signs of nervousness after he got use to it. All of the owners were responsible and kept a good eye on the dogs, and the dogs were also very respectful of each other. The best part for me was how well Remi's recall and attention skills were. Anytime I called him or asked for a behavior he did it without hesitation. Remi didn't want to leave, I had to trick him into coming with me. This is a big step for getting him comfortable with other dogs. :)

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Looks like he had a blast! Congrats! Always keep a close eye on him and don't be afraid to intervene if you think he's getting mobbed or overwhelmed.

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
Jackienmutts- I was so excited to see him playing with other dogs! It was a proud moment for me. Everyone else there must have thought I was crazy with how giddy I was watching him play with other dogs.

A&C- I did intervene once or twice when I could tell he was getting uncomfortable with a crowd of dogs came running towards him. And again when a mini aussie was getting way to ruff. But nothing a quick break couldn't fix! I'm that paranoid parent that follows their kid around the park though! :ROFLMAO:

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
He did! It was cute to watch how gently he played with the small dogs. There was one that protected him, but she tiny! When he played with the two mini aussies that were his size he was all over the place. He was such a gentlemen with the small fragile ones! :love:

MaryK

Honored Member
Oh that's just so beautiful to watch and hear about. Was a sweetheart Remi is:love: I bet he'd be voted "Mr. Popularity" by all the other dogs. He sure looked like he was having a ball!:D

If you ever spot a really in your face rowdy dog, especially with rowdy owners and kids in tow, just quietly leave the park. I did that with Ra Kismet, who was having a ball, but a very rowdy dog with even worse owner and kids came in, I could see Ra Kismet was a little upset, so we quietly left. You wouldn't want to undo all the fun time Remi had and things can very quickly get out of hand with a real rowdy, in your face dog.

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
MaryK- Thankfully we haven't come across one that rowdy. We went last night and there were a few larger dogs (mostly Remi's size) and they played rough. Thankfully everyone was helpful in saying when enough was enough. I'll keep in mind about not making a fuss if things get out of hand and to just leave quietly.