Dog Halloween Contest

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Everyone,

Let's train something cool for Halloween. What would be appropriate? I think *smile* would be awesome but I'm not sure how to go about training this one. And I wouldn't want to use a rubber band like they sometimes do in the movies. ;)

Your thoughts?

Dogster

Honored Member
Yes YES!!!!!!:D I'm actually training a Halloween trick, Shivon and Carmel are going to go trick or treating!!!! (we're doing a Halloween video):) I'm teaching Shivon to carry a Halloween basket, maybe do a trick while holding it and teaching her to pick it up and place it on the ground.:) Here's a pic:

IMG_3524.JPG

(Have to add this, lol) And Shivon in her Halloween costume:

IMG_3544.JPG

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for the replies. It's an interesting of teaching smile. :) Only problem is how do you get the behavior without the window afterwards? :)

I like the one holding the big pumpkin basket. But I'm not personally a fan of dog costumes, although I find some hilarious. :)

southerngirl

Honored Member
Yes YES!!!!!!:D I'm actually training a Halloween trick, Shivon and Carmel are going to go trick or treating!!!! (we're doing a Halloween video):) I'm teaching Shivon to carry a Halloween basket, maybe do a trick while holding it and teaching her to pick it up and place it on the ground.:) Here's a pic:

View attachment 1910

(Have to add this, lol) And Shivon in her Halloween costume:

View attachment 1911
I can't wait to see the Halloween video. Shivon looks cute in her costume.
Missy knows how to carry an Easter basket so I was going to replace it with a Halloween basket, my little brothers and do a video of Missy coming to my door and my brother putting a treat in her basket. Problem is I can't find the basket.:( Maybe I'll use a pillow case.

MaryK

Honored Member
OMD!!!! This is going to be tricky Oops no pun intended. I'll have to start with getting Ra Kismet to actually hold something first. So far he's not too keen on having anything in his mouth except food or a ball!

Will look around the forum to see how to teach hold. I have a basket which shouldn't be too heavy for him to hold - once he's got the idea of holding something.

LOL with costumes Jean, Ra Kismet is right with you on that one he will not wear anything, except a fancy collar!

Would love to teach 'smile' but we don't have a suitable window:( Again will have to check around and see what I can find on this forum.

Dogster

Honored Member
Jean, I don't really like Halloween costumes either, especially when you can't even tell that there's a dog inside the costume.:p (neither does Shivon, I guess you can tell, lol:p) The costume is just for the video, Shivon gets very miserable as soon as I put something on her (even a sweater) so I don't want to torture her, lol.

Hmm, I don't think you can fade out the window or plastic, unless the dog offers the behaviour afterwards. I like it because it's a good alternative to using rubber bands.:)

MaryK

Honored Member
I did see one suggestion for smile and that is to gently lift the sides of your dog's mouth. Haven't tried it yet with either of my boys, but it's better than rubber bands which I wouldn't use at all.

Still working on getting Ra Kismet to hold something, like a basket, no luck yet. He'll hold his balls but that's it.

Dogster I don't even get as far as putting anything on Ra Kismet, he takes off or tears at whatever it is before it's even on! He will wear a normal dog coat now though if needed, even that took some work to get him to accept it. I respect that so don't even try now:)

MaryK

Honored Member
Neither of my dogs howl:( Well not that I know off, never heard a howl yet. I think though you could teach howling by capturing them, then getting them to howl on cue. Would be so cute too:D

Still trying to think of what to teach Ra Kismet, or maybe Zeus this time, for Halloween. Neither dog will 'hold' anything, Zeus' sister the late Tiger Lily, did all the 'holding' tricks. Neither howl, so will have to think hard on this one.

Evie

Experienced Member
Maybe I'll have to borrow my brothers husky for this!! She's an expert at howling, however I've never heard Evie howl... she rarely even barks except for sometimes when she's playing.

MaryK

Honored Member
Any chance LOL Evie we can share your brother's Husky? Neither of my dogs howl either and rarely bark. Though Zeus does have a wonderful one note bark when excited!:rolleyes:

Still trying to work on something either of my boys (or both) could do for Halloween. Neither will carry anything except balls and neither howl.:rolleyes:O_o

fly30

Experienced Member
I'm currently teatching Fly to talk (not bark). This is not easy with a border collie. These dogs are silent. She usually talks a lot when doing tricks but never did it on cue. I started yesterday and she's getting there, but I doubt I can get her to howl.

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Considering I have a dog that rarely if ever shuts her mouth...this is proving to be a very difficult task.

She know "speak" which is just a bark, so that doesn't count.

She doesn't holw but she does do this grumbly, "woo woo" talking to me, and I never have a clicker on me to capture it when it happens!!!!

MaryK

Honored Member
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Priceless J&V would love to hear Veronica's woo woo's!

I've given up with speak/howl neither of my dogs howl and Zeus has the most awful bark ever, so do NOT want to capture that. Doing something else for the Challenge and will be videoing tomorrow (Sunday) my time and hopefully have it up later that night, or Monday, depending on how it all goes with my editing:rolleyes: