Dog Friendly Places?

Evie

Experienced Member
Please excuse my little rant here but I'm sick of not being able to take Evie with me when I go places.....

Am I simply not aware of anywhere dogs are allowed or is the world really not dog-friendly?

I mean of course if I go to the shops she can come with, but then she has to wait in the car as I can't tie her up out the front of the shop (not that I think that's a great idea anyway).... and she can come to the park, but she has to be kept on lease at all times. Even 95% of national parks don't allow dogs and if they do they MUST be on leash! (what's the point of having acres of running space if they're stuck on lead).

Really I think I just wish there was somewhere where I could spend the day out with my family AND dog.

Oh well.. I'll stop ranting now.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I feel the same way, there are very few places that dogs are aloud. Here in Georgia they aren't even aloud at most of the lake beaches. When we go somewhere for the first time Missy can't come cause we have to make sure it's dog friendly, it's usually not. :( I think the big reason for them not being a loud most places is because of irresponsible dog owners(not cleaning up after their dog, dog barking or being a loud to run up to people) so they are banned. Try looking at river's and creeks, usually dogs are aloud there, well where I live.

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member

Lindsey

I know the feeling! And I do understand that people abuse trust but I just wish more work was put into making it so if you are responsible and if your dogs are reliable off leash you can do more.

I know some places, sadly not where I live have laws that state "Leashed or under voice control" which I think is AWESOME. I mean, other countries, especially a few in Europe manage to have most people bring their best everywhere and it all seems to work out ok.

But this is why I end up going and finding places no one goes and letting them off illegally. My dogs need to run.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OH, i so understand, too!!! i sooooo wish the world was more open to allowing dogs.

Most outdoor cafes allow dogs. I never ask, i just sit down with my dog onleash. Not that fun for the dog, but, he does enjoy humans so so much, and it beats staying home. Buddy also loves walking downtown, everyone fusses over his handsome self. ...but, he is onleash, though.(traffic)

Some hardware stores allow in dogs.

Most city parks in my town allow on-leash dogs, and, if i have park to myself, (weekday daytimes are good time to check) then i can remove Buddy's leash.

I've often been tempted to get Buddy a "Service Dog" vest,:rolleyes: and bring him with me to shops, libraries, etc.
and if i ever have to fly Buddy anywhere, i will get him such a vest. The cards for your wallet are also available online, too. No one is allowed to ask WHAT service the dog is providing, it is illegal to even ask, (it could be psychiatric, seizure warnings,diabetes, etc, not just blindness).
Anyone who wants to protest my plan to cheat:rolleyes: on this by putting a fake vest on my dog, i could not argue with your points, you are right. Still, no way would i have Buddy in a cage on a flight, set amongst other dogs, won't happen. He'd be insane:cautious: by the time we landed.

Anyone near one of the Great Lakes in the USA, can find a beach to run your dog easily enough. Lake Michigan has 1000s of miles of beach, not hard to find one all to yourself even, for miles of offleash romp and swim time. Lake MIchigan a great vacation destination for dog lovers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Because my dog is a dog-aggressive gangsta, i can not bring him to places full of other dogs, but, instead, i seek out places where dogs are not there. My dog, like Lindsey's dog, HAS TO run every day, he HAS TO.O_o
So for dog-aggressive dogs, i recommend looking for fenced in empty church yards or school yards, (some of which are huge) empty, fenced-in, cemeteries, (ancient ones are always empty, and neither my dog nor i believe in ghosts) empty fenced fields, etc.

When i drive around, i am always on the lookout for fenced in areas, that i might come back to, to run my dog,
as well as woods, fields, creeks, rivers, and paths, etc.

OF COURSE, BRING A DOGGIE POO BAG wherever you go.

I have access to woods, even a few steps from my own home, so i am very lucky, and Buddy roams the woods many times a week.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I don't have to worry about finding somewhere for Missy to run free because my backyard is a good size, it's not fenced in but the house pool and driveway is like a barrier.:D I also have a trail, but she stays on leash becuase of annoying dogs that are always in our yard :( I found a great spot at the Chattahoochee to bring Missy, hopefully going this weekend or sometime soon.
Evie I would look for waterfalls, creeks, rivers to take your dog to most of the time dogs are allowed and they aren't crowded so you could let her off leash well at least were I live. Also look for trails in the woods to let her roam free. Make sure you always have her leash with you in case you run into people.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Dogster.com has a feature where you can look for dog friendly places. You should check it out!

There are quite a few state parks near me that allow dogs. I know that home depot, lowes, and Tractor Supply Co, allow dogs, at least where I live.

I actually agree with having leashes on dogs at parks. Not everyone wants a dog to greet them, and not all dogs are friendly.

Dogster

Honored Member
I can only take Shivon's leash off if the place is fenced in (otherwise she runs with her leash ON, lol:ROFLMAO:) We have to drive far to get to a beach with minimal amounts of garbage and where the water isn't dirty:sick::rolleyes: So we usually go to beaches in the summer. But I gotta say, Mississauga is good when it comes to dog parks. There's two that we go to A LOT (for Shivon to get her run on:D, we go at least twice a week)

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I've often been tempted to get Buddy a "Service Dog" vest,:rolleyes: and bring him with me to shops, libraries, etc.
and if i ever have to fly Buddy anywhere, i will get him such a vest. The cards for your wallet are also available online, too. No one is allowed to ask WHAT service the dog is providing, it is illegal to even ask, (it could be psychiatric, seizure warnings,diabetes, etc, not just blindness).
Anyone who wants to protest my plan to cheat:rolleyes: on this by putting a fake vest on my dog, i could not argue with your points, you are right.
I want to get Remi a vest when he gets a little bigger! I read somewhere that some stores reserve the right to refuse to allow your dog in if he/she is used for the service of psychiatric and not physical. :cautious: I guess if they asked me what was wrong and say something I could just leave the store. I actually want to get him to be my service dog, for anxiety, but in California its really hard to get them certified. :( But after what you said I might just get one and lie to everyone! ;)

Anneke

Honored Member
It's no different here in Holland. There are some good places where you can let your dogs offleash, but they are few.
There used to be a forrest nearby that had a great offleash area, BUT they cancelled it. They are joining habitats for some wild animals(don't ask me which) and so dogs need to be leashed again.

I am always looking for a safe place to let my dogs offleash, but I prefer places that are not so well known and where there is enough space for me to look around me. As Cooper doesn't get along with other dogs that well, AND because my two have figured out that chasing game is very much fun... So they have to be onleash in the woods, or within minutes they will be off chasing an scenttrails:rolleyes:
As for going into town and to shops... Most cafe's allow dogs, even most restaurants(but I usually ask before I go in) and some shops allow them in(hardware stores, gardeningstores, ofcourse petshops)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
// if he/she is used for the service of psychiatric and not physical. :cautious://

that is illegal. It is. For real, bonafide service dogs, that practice you said the store does, is illegal. I can find article on it, if you want me to.

Lol, Remi, now, my idea of cheating is not to be admired, or emulated, i am BAD here, Remi, bad i tell you!!:unsure::LOL:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//Service Dogs must be allowed to go anywhere their handler goes, including
restaurants, schools, buses, taxis, airplanes, stores, movie theatres, concerts,
sporting events, doctor's offices, and any other public place. It is REQUIRED under
federal and state laws that they be allowed..............It is illegal to ask for any special
identification from Service Dog partners...... //

http://www.servicedogssavelives.org/laws.html
AND
http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

Remi, us faking our dogs are service dogs runs risk of fines or other penalties::notworthy: // .......Disabilities Act and allowed to go
into public places that don't normally allow pets. If an untrained animal is passed off
as a Service Animal, it puts the public and the handler at risk. This is why several
states have instituted penalties within their laws for "Misrepresentation of
Disability," or pretending to be disabled, and passing an untrained animal off as a
Service Dog.//

//Service Dog is commonly used as a general term for this broad classification of
working dogs, as is Assistance Dog. However, Service Dog can also be used to
mean specifically those dogs who aid people with.........[...].........who help with
things such as psychiatric disabilities, seizure disorders, fibromyalgia, and numerous
other medical conditions....//

http://www.servicedogssavelives.org/whatareservicedogs.html

(they left out diabetes, more and more dogs are being trained:) to alert for the breath of low blood sugar,"fruity"
or the breath of high blood sugars,"smells kind of like drunk"
esp for kids with diabetes, who dislike having blood drawn over and over to make sure, so having a dog bark or alarm for that breath in the kid is verrrrry helpful )

Dlilly

Honored Member
I know you guys are joking, but faking a service dog is illegal and not really funny... They are people who lie that their dog is a service dog. That makes it a lot harder for service dog owners. I saw a sick video of a man bringing his dog everywhere saying it was a service dog. It only takes a few more people like him to make it harder for service dog owners.

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I know you guys are joking, but faking a service dog is illegal and not really funny... They are people who lie that their dog is a service dog. That makes it a lot harder for service dog owners. I saw a sick video of a man bringing his dog everywhere saying it was a service dog. It only takes a few more people like him to make it harder for service dog owners.
I agree, it does make it a lot harder on people with services dogs. I actually am trying to get Remi certified as my service. I have severe anxiety when leaving the house, and talking to anyone face to face, I can't even talk to some family members it makes me so nervous. I would never take him with me somewhere until I had actual papers stating that he was a legal service dog.

Dlilly

Honored Member
I agree, it does make it a lot harder on people with services dogs. I actually am trying to get Remi certified as my service. I have severe anxiety when leaving the house, and talking to anyone face to face, I can't even talk to some family members it makes me so nervous. I would never take him with me somewhere until I had actual papers stating that he was a legal service dog.
My friend's mom got her dog certified online. I'm not sure on what website or organization, but I can ask if you're interested. I live in Georgia, so I'm not sure if it is the same in California.

Her dog hasn't had any training and didn't have to take a test or anything. The owner just took a written test, send in her medical papers, and she was certified, from what I've been told.

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
As a service dog trainer I have to interject here.

There actually is NO standardized certification for service dogs - so I am unsure what your friends Mom got but it is not federally recognized certification saying her dog is a service dog. [Not being snarky - just saying] There is a Public Access Test and a set of basic guidelines as set out by the Delta Society that most people use but there are alot of loose ends here.

Public Access Test
Delta Society Minimum Standards for Service Dogs

Emotional support animals - dogs that make you feel less anxious simply by being in their presence are NO LONGER covered under the ADA guidelines - this law changed in March 2011 and now a dog must be able to perform [recommended 3] tasks that mitigate the handlers disability. This means they have to do things for you that you CANNOT do for yourself.

Examples of anxiety based tasks include:
* Deep Pressure - at the onset of an anxiety attack the dog will lean into the person if they are standing to indicate for them to sit down and then they will drape themselves over their legs and use their weight to assist the person in calming down - obviously only useful if this type of thing works for you.
* Body Blocking - the dog will move between the handler and people who are too close providing a barrier - if more space is needed the dog will lie down and stretch out creating a larger buffer.
* Med reminder and retrieval - at a preset time the dog will alert to the handler to remind to take medication and may be asked to fetch the medication pouch
* Exit strategy - the dog will navigate it's way when asked to the nearest exit if the handler needs assistance to leave the building and if the handler is so shut down that they cannot ask - the dog will do so automatically

Having said that - businesses are very limited in what they can actually do under the guidelines of ADA law. Here is an excerpt from the recent revisions:

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or tasks has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.
http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

All that being said - people slap vests on their dogs they bought online - with badges with their dogs picture, false "certification" and ID tags and go about their business everyday. It is frustrating there is such a lack of standardization - but it is what it is....

Attachments

Dlilly

Honored Member

There actually is NO standardized certification for service dogs - so I am unsure what your friends Mom got but it is not federally recognized certification saying her dog is a service dog. [Not being snarky - just saying] There is a Public Access Test and a set of basic guidelines as set out by the Delta Society that most people use but there are alot of loose ends here.

Public Access Test

Emotional support animals - dogs that make you feel less anxious simply by being in their presence are NO LONGER covered under the ADA guidelines - this law changed in March 2011 and now a dog must be able to perform [recommended 3] tasks that mitigate the handlers disability. This means they have to do things for you that you CANNOT do for yourself.

* Deep Pressure - at the onset of an anxiety attack the dog will lean into the person if they are standing to indicate for them to sit down and then they will drape themselves over their legs and use their weight to assist the person in calming down - obviously only useful if this type of thing works for you.
* Body Blocking - the dog will move between the handler and people who are too close providing a barrier - if more space is needed the dog will lie down and stretch out creating a larger buffer.
* Med reminder and retrieval - at a preset time the dog will alert to the handler to remind to take medication and may be asked to fetch the medication pouch
* Exit strategy - the dog will navigate it's way when asked to the nearest exit if the handler needs assistance to leave the building and if the handler is so shut down that they cannot ask - the dog will do so automatically

Having said that - businesses are very limited in what they can actually do under the guidelines of ADA law. Here is an excerpt from the recent revisions:

All that being said - people slap vests on their dogs they bought online - with badges with their dogs picture, false "certification" and ID tags and go about their business everyday. It is frustrating there is such a lack of standardization - but it is what it is....

Public Access Test

When I first heard that she was certified online, I was surprised. I asked my friend a little about it since I've read up on Service Dogs, but I didn't want to sound nosey by asking too many questions….. I'm positive she won't mind me asking what organization she got her certified through, and I'm really interested too….