Dog Companion In Adelaide

MaryK

Honored Member
Anyone near West Richmond Adelaide? I don't drive but can walk a long way. Would love to have a training companion for Ra Kismet and Zeus.

Evie

Experienced Member
That's getting much closer to home!

I live in the Adelaide Hills but Evie and I often head down to the dog park on the corner of Oaklands Rd and Hazelmere Rd in Warradale... that's sorta near you lol :LOL:

Having somone to train with would be great for us! Evie has troubles focusing on training when there's other dogs around :rolleyes:

MaryK

Honored Member
Lucky you living in the Hills:) We are getting closer though. Just checked the map (after looking inMelbourne Melway's first silly me:(). I would LOVE to train with Evie and you, as Ra Kismet's the same, he wants to 'party' with every dog he meets. Missed puppy pre-school and the dog school near here - eeeeek!!!!!!! Awful!!!!!!! I think, if my map reading is correct, it would be around two hour walk one way. I know it's around just under an hour to Anzac highway, not sure past that (I'm not from Adelaide) but a friend said it's about an hour and a bit to Glenelg. Checked no trains and just been advised dogs not allowed on them anyway(n)

I in Trennery street, off Marion Road, between Richmond Road and Bradman Drive West Richmond right under the darned flight path:poop:. Sure I can work out something, as I know Evie and Ra would make a fantastic pair - she looks like she has the same energy level as he has. Would be a bit too much to ask my Zeus, he's a great walker but does have Cushings, so he is SUPPOSED to take it easy on walks, we compromise on pace, we don't go as far(y). Have to walk the two separately because Ra Kismet loves long walks and Zeus isn't, on vet's orders, allowed to go too far.

Evie

Experienced Member
Um, just looking around on google maps and perhaps the "pooch park" on Findon Road (right next to the River Torrens) would be easier for you? There's also parklands near there in case the dog park actually has dogs running around in it so we can train without the friendly off leash distractions.

MaryK

Honored Member
Just looked it up and yes it would be about an hour from my place. Not hard to find I hope, straight down Marion Rd to Henley Beach Rd then along to Rowville Rd which becomes Findon Road.:D I think I would have been lost trying to find the other park - LOL map reading isn't my forte.

Agree, think the nearby park is a grand idea, Ra Kismet would find the distractions of off leash dogs running around just all to much to resist:D

They also say dog playground. Does this mean apparatus etc. which the dogs can play on, like kids parks? Rakins would LOVE that I am sure, after he's done his training of course;)

Have just ordered a clicker from ebay, that should arrive in the next couple of days, new to clicker training but have downloaded videos read all the advice and cannot wait to start.

I just know this will be grand having someone to train with so looking forward to meeting Evie and yourself:D

MaryK

Honored Member
LOL just had a quick thought, hope Ra Kismet cannot get in the river - he's a real 'water baby':D Took him to the wetlands nearby and he tried to chase the ducks into the water and then wanted just a swim himself:(

Evie

Experienced Member
Lol, That would be bad. Evie LOVES water too, so I doubt we'd ever see the two of them ever again lol.

MaryK

Honored Member
LOL sounds like Evie and Ra Kismet have so much in common. LOL we probably never would see the pair again heaven only knows where they'd 'come to land'. How old is Evie? You said in the other post she's being desexed today, so is she still a puppy? Ra is two and a half now (years that is) but LOL still thinks he's a pup:D

Evie

Experienced Member
Lol yep. Very high energy levels :) Actually, i think it's near impossible to wear her out these days

MaryK

Honored Member
LOL I know exactly how you are placed.:D Just when you think my boys going to rest, he's off again. Wonder if I could get an injection of his 'energy genes':D

Evie

Experienced Member
Yeah I agree. Would love to borrow some of Evie's energy. She should be ready to come play/train the week after next. So around the 30th. The vet said that after 5 days she'll be pretty much fine, and that after 10 days she will be 100% ready to take on the world again. We can work out a time/place closer to the date - I don't have a work roster for that far in advance :)

Maybe Evie and I can help with shy too :p

MaryK

Honored Member
That's around the date I thought she would be ready:) Of course, you're in the 'keep the patient quite' period now - good luck:D

I work from home, so can fit in pretty much with your times. Like yourself, I don't have a set in concrete time table and only the hairdresser is planned that far in advance:) Yes, we can work out details closer to the time.

That would be grand if Evie helps with shy:p didn't do too badly today but MAJOR room for improvement:giggle: Still no clicker :cry: looks like Monday all fingers crossed. Going to also train Zeus to the clicker, not that he'll do much in tricks, already knows all the basics and isn't the athletic type at all but will work with him on something somewhere, even it's repeating old lessons. I have to treat him pretty much the same as Ra as far as possible, otherwise we have our little nose out of joint:cautious: Plus Zeus has Cushings, so he's not quite as fit as he could be and even roll over maybe a bit too much. Thought, will revive 'high fives' he used to do that but somehow it got lost when he got sick. LOL that's about as much exercise, other than walking, he likes:)

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
Hope this works out for you guys...

Is there somewhere I have missed that people can just do a quick database lookup by city or something for training partners...one of my weight watchers sites had it for walking buddies...we submitted our info once (basically giving permission for it to be in the database) and we could have notes about dog play styles or energy levels, gender preferences etc??

MaryK

Honored Member
Hope this works out for you guys...

Is there somewhere I have missed that people can just do a quick database lookup by city or something for training partners...one of my weight watchers sites had it for walking buddies...we submitted our info once (basically giving permission for it to be in the database) and we could have notes about dog play styles or energy levels, gender preferences etc??
Not sure where you live but just did a quick google search and this site came up

http://walking.about.com/cs/clubs/a/companiondog.htm

It is an Australian site, as they come up first for me, but I just typed in 'dog walking companions' and voila up came a site. I would suggest googling, dear ol' google has it all:)

It has two listing, just scroll down, for dog walking companions.

Good luck, hope this helps
:)

MaryK

Honored Member
What a shame. I'm sure though someone will want to walk/train with your three beautiful dogs.