Diy Projects!

Dlilly

Honored Member
Lately I've seen a bunch of cute and useful dog related DIY projects! I thought I'd make a thread where we could all share any ideas we thought were worth sharing! ;)

If you really enjoy looking at creative, homemade dog products, you should check out Pinterest! I've seen some amazing things on there!!

This has to be one of the awesomest ways to recycle an old sweater! http://voknits.com/recycled-dog-sweater/ Too bad my dogs aren't small.

MaryK

Honored Member
Good idea. Same here with the sweater idea, both my boys are a little too big for that one. LOL unless of course there's a giant sweater out there somewhere!

Will check out Pininterest found some amazing stuff there, not dog related, so can well imagine there's some awesome dog stuff.

Honored Member
That sweater dog jacket is a good idea, I might have to go and see if I can find a second hand sweater to make one for Holly.

She's little so I should be able to find one her size!

MaryK

Honored Member
It's pretty easy to crochet a simple dog sweater. Do any of you know how to crochet? I made this for Calvin, took a few nights of tv watching to do it.

Of course, I can tell you how to make the sweater, but only Calvin can tell you how he manages to look so miserable wearing it :rolleyes:

View attachment 1898
I can crochet, would love to have the pattern, cannot work without one. Any chance you could post it here or pm me please? Zeus feels the cold, although we're heading into hot weather now, but he still needs one if it's cold at night and his outside coat is a bit too bulky for inside.

LOL maybe he wanted blue or another color? He looks adorable though:love:

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Hi Mary

It was actually easy, and I didn't write a pattern so I don't know if that's a problem. I should say the whole idea is to avoid having to sew parts together, since I hate doing that! I used two strands together throughout. I made the 'turtleneck' part by doing double (I think in the UK you call it treble) crochet w/ two strands of the same color, alternating back loop only by row to make it have ridges. Then I turned it on its side and started crocheting in the round with one strand of each color, and crocheted a length that would make a chest covering, then I stopped going in the round and instead made rows, making the back of the jacket this way.

Once I got to a length that was past his elbow, I made the strap by just continuing on a row and made a wide strap that would cover a bit of his underside (I always think it's so funny that coats cover the back, but not the underside, since they have much less fur on the belly!). You can leave a hole for the button closure (button will be sewn to the body of the jacket) by slip stitching for a few stitches. After the strap I just continued making the back portion. I made a border with a picot stitch, that was it. Oh and I sewed on a big button, you can't see it in the picture.

If you want a great source of patterns, join Ravelry.com and use their pattern finder. LionBrand.com also has a bunch of free dog coat patterns (and is a much smaller site than Ravelry--you can lose yourself for days in there!).

MaryK

Honored Member
Hi Adrianna, thank you so much. I can follow your instructions, very clearly explained, so will get some wool and start making one for Zeus first, then Ra Kismet.

Will also join the sites you recommend. I love doing craft work in my spare time, so will be good to have a site with loads of doggy related items.

MaryK

Honored Member
Great site Dlilly, have bookmarked. Handy to have inexpensive toys, as Zeus in particular, is the world's greatest at destroying toys. He's cost me a fortune in the past - no more - am going to make my own!

MaryK

Honored Member
So Cool!:cool:(y)Just what I need, because Ra Kismet get's thirsty and his water bottle, which should hang from my belt, tends to leak making it look as if I have had an embarrassing 'accident' plus no where at all to dispose of used poop bags. Going to get some fabric and make one!(y)

MaryK

Honored Member
That's really cool:cool: Zeus definitely is in need of a new collar and lead, so he'll be first with his very owner designer collar/lead. Then of course Ra Kismet will also want one. Hey this is going to be fun! Thank youDlily for the post(n):)