Diesel- Newfoundland

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
DSCF4696.jpg
DSCF4689.jpg
Diesel is a three-year-old black Newfoundland male. He's our first male Newf, we've had three girl Newfs before. He is super-special and so fun! He is very willing and quite energetic for a Newfoundland. He's a big boy and weighs about 165 pounds and he's thin! He has a great sense of humour, and is very eager and enthusiastic, however he's my husband's dog so I tend to try and keep my mitts off of him so my husband can do the honors- which he doesn't really do.... sigh. Diesel however is no slacker about training my husband! He has taught him to rearrange the furniture to accomodate him(he likes to lie on ther right and behind his chair thanks very much!, to fetch the pink bug toy, only the pink bug toy, to check the water dish on command, and various and sundry other tricks! Diesel loves to work for food -any food will do but it needs to be accompanied by a fountain of drool or very large foamy streamers. EEEW! His trick list is still kind of short but it doesn't really matter, Diesel is like a rockstar, he just needs to show up and any other dogs don't even exist. He has a instant Fanclub wherever he goes. We did earn his novice trick dog title and my husband is (suposedly) getting him ready for a carting test in May. After Rocket gets his intermediate trick dog title I am going to spend more time teaching Diesel tricks and maybe padding the cart-work when no one is around. (Shh! don't tell!)

MaryK

Honored Member
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!! Diesel sure is a good human trainer! Did he use click/treat to teach your husband all those tricks?!!!!!!!!!!!!

I adore Newfs, they are just totally beautiful. But they do drool, just a little, LOL like saying Niagra Falls is a small waterfall!!!!!!!!!

Pssst, won't tell a soul, but do let us know how you go with cart training!

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
Nope didn't even need a clicker! He has the aura of power. He just sends rays from his brain and bam! my husband does what he wants... Gosh, I wish I could learn how to do that!

Yeah, Newfs truly are incomparable. Those pics are from today I just bathed him so he looks even fluffier, that only lasts for about half a day. Too bad.

The girls don't usually drool nearly as much as the boys. They tend to only do it if they're excited, or really hot, or hungry....ummm... really, it is quite a bit less than the boys. :confused: Oh, and the girls only rarely send hair laden spitballs up to the ceiling. Boys, frequently. :sick:

MaryK

Honored Member
Nope didn't even need a clicker! He has the aura of power. He just sends rays from his brain and bam! my husband does what he wants... Gosh, I wish I could learn how to do that!

Yeah, Newfs truly are incomparable. Those pics are from today I just bathed him so he looks even fluffier, that only lasts for about half a day. Too bad.

The girls don't usually drool nearly as much as the boys. They tend to only do it if they're excited, or really hot, or hungry....ummm... really, it is quite a bit less than the boys. :confused: Oh, and the girls only rarely send hair laden spitballs up to the ceiling. Boys, frequently. :sick:
:ROFLMAO: OMD!!!!!!!!!!! Diesel is truly awesome! I bow to his greatness!!!!!!!!!!! Same here, any chance of Diesel giving some lessons? "Guru Dog Teaches Woman How to Train Husbands Using the Aura of Power"!!!!!!!! He'd make a fortunate!!!!!!!!!:LOL:

They are, there was one lived near me and he would clear the sidewalk as he made his majestic royal progress through the shopping center and High Street.:love: Everyone adored him, he was the most patted dog in the neighborhood, which had quite a few beautiful dogs.

Love him all fluffy, he looks so cute!:love:

Yeah Gods and Little Fishes!!!!!!! Hair laden spitballs on the ceiling!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really? Girls drool less than the boys? Well we girls are always better mannered aren't we?:giggle: Still madly in love with Newfs, spitballs and drool included:love:

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
Yes, and our largest girl was only 125 lbs. (40 lbs smaller than Diesel) so well, you could get over the girls a little more easily when they were lying in a doorway, which is the preferred place all Newfoundlands like to lay, unless they can be against a door you are trying to open! But our girls made up for a lack of drool by all being extreme water dogs, so if there was a puddle, then there was a Newf in it... (or three) and the consequently soaking wet feet that can hold a rather large amount of water/mud/ sand! :cry: It used to be a really nice house...:oops:

MaryK

Honored Member
Yes, and our largest girl was only 125 lbs. (40 lbs smaller than Diesel) so well, you could get over the girls a little more easily when they were lying in a doorway, which is the preferred place all Newfoundlands like to lay, unless they can be against a door you are trying to open! But our girls made up for a lack of drool by all being extreme water dogs, so if there was a puddle, then there was a Newf in it... (or three) and the consequently soaking wet feet that can hold a rather large amount of water/mud/ sand! :cry: It used to be a really nice house...:oops:
:ROFLMAO: Tiny, really tiny!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh so Newfs like to take over the doorways too? Just think what good exercise it is trying to open a door with a Newf the other side! And, no burglar would attempt to break in, unless he was superman!
:ROFLMAO: And I thought I had water problems! In future when Ra Kismet comes in all wet and muddy I'll send up a "Thank you" he's not the size of a Newf.:whistle:

Would still have one though, I adore their lovely faces! And what a snuggly blanket when it's cold!

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
Yes, definitely be grateful he's not too big! When you get a chance I recommend sharing your life with one! Here he is in his capacity as blanket.

DSCF4173.jpg

However one does not want to forget this aspect of having Newfs around....

DSCF3906.jpg

Though that can be pretty cool...er...warm too! :D

DSCF4575.jpg

MaryK

Honored Member
:ROFLMAO: OMD!!!!!!!!!! OMD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His capacity as a blanket is truly AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't need a duvet in bed, IF of course there was enough room actually left for me in the bed!!!!!!!!!!!! And my sofa is very modern - read narrow - so that just may complicate things. I'd def have to buy a different sofa. Do sofas come in 'giant Newf sizes"?

All that fur!!!!!!!!! But I have always wanted to take up spinning so can see that having a live in supply of fur to spin would have definite advantages. I think I will have to wait though until I move into a bigger house LOL something tells me a Newf in this small place would be like trying to fit a quart into a pint:LOL:

Will take your advice. Does anyone know a place where they 'lease out Newfs on trial' in Australia? Still adore them, those eyes and those faces!!! Drool, well Ra Kismet drools, though he may feel a little under rated if compared to a Newf!

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
Well, I always wanted to spin too and the Newfs helped me right into it. Couldn't stand seeing all that lovely fiber go to waste. Been spinning now for 14 years and love it- Don't wait for a Newf though -spinning is a wonderful thing. Don't let a small space stop you Newfs were bred to be on boats and don't require that much space and do very well in smaller spaces, we had our first two and a 75 lb smooth collie in a 600sq foot guest house. then when we upgraded to 1100 sq feet we added the 3rd Newf! Oh, and be forewarned they are like potato chips, it is really hard to have only one!

648117, Yes I would say that a newf would be a pretty big jump from what you have there- though I had Yorkies before. I enjoy grooming too, although it is much easier when you are pressed for time or busy with other things to fit in a slightly smaller grooming project!

MaryK

Honored Member
Well, I always wanted to spin too and the Newfs helped me right into it. Couldn't stand seeing all that lovely fiber go to waste. Been spinning now for 14 years and love it- Don't wait for a Newf though -spinning is a wonderful thing. Don't let a small space stop you Newfs were bred to be on boats and don't require that much space and do very well in smaller spaces, we had our first two and a 75 lb smooth collie in a 600sq foot guest house. then when we upgraded to 1100 sq feet we added the 3rd Newf! Oh, and be forewarned they are like potato chips, it is really hard to have only one!

648117, Yes I would say that a newf would be a pretty big jump from what you have there- though I had Yorkies before. I enjoy grooming too, although it is much easier when you are pressed for time or busy with other things to fit in a slightly smaller grooming project!
Will start spinning a.s.a.p. there's a Spinner and Weaver's Guild not far from here! Will just wait until it cools down a bit, I don't think they're even open yet.

Didn't know Newfs were bred to be on boats, thank you. Are they the small canal boats? LOL because that's about the size of this 'house' - bungalow in my country!

OMD!!!!!!!! They'd be in a very good company with the Chips, Ra Kismet adores them and Zeus goes positively boss-eyed at even the smell of a chip! I think I would have to buy an extra bag for the dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did have German Shepherds before and LOL kept calling Zeus and his late sister Tiger Lily little dogs, as that's how they appeared to me anyway, even though they are of course medium. Ra Kismet is also medium. So a Newf would be kinda larger but I do have a passion for bigger dogs:D I think Yorkie to Newf would have been a MAJOR jump, you must have felt like you owned an Elephant:LOL:

I love grooming, it"s so peaceful, well once the boy (Ra Kismet) got the hang of actually standing still, but it is hard when time is short I agree there. How often do Newfs need grooming? I groom everyday, though Zeus is more just because he loves it than needs it. Ra Kismet is because he NEEDS it, today we had to extract, almost by surgery, sticky grass seeds from his tail. A bit hard, as he never stops wagging his tail! Male of the house has been told to get rid of the weeds - or else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
Diesel is so handsome, and fluffy!!!!:eek::D:love:

Do you think you could make Shivon a sweater with Diesel's fur??:LOL:
Ha, ha! (but it never hurts to ask :rolleyes: ) I did make one for my Mom's min pin with Samoyed yarn for the collar and sleeves- very stylish and warm!

Sorry,charmedwolf Kratos' little short hairs won't make good yarn, boo -hoo! Too bad cause I love spinning dog fiber best of all!

Gordykins

Experienced Member
Diesel looks like the biggest teddy bear ever. I have heard that you have to wipe down the walls a lot when you have a Newf bc they shake... and slobber goes everywhere! Someone I new who had one told me they used to hire a cleaning person to come do it every other week or so.

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
Just needed to say that Deisel is the best big brother ever! He has been and continues to be soooo patient with the pup, Turbo's been good for him too. Adorable! no wonder I never seem to get much done! too busy enamored of my dogs!
DSCF5098.jpg

DSCF5117.jpg