Deaf Dogs

Dlilly

Honored Member
I really wanted to foster a deaf Beagle a while ago, but my mom said no. :( The only decent reason I could think of for her not letting me foster him was because if he got out of the fence to chase the chickens, he wouldn't come back. The average Beagle would listen either though! (surprisingly, Chance listened sometimes!)

Is there anything different I would have to do to foster a deaf beagle? What are the pros and cons?I think it would be such a rewarding experience! :)

sara

Staff member
Oh you are going to be sorry you asked!!!

First things first. Deaf really is no different than hearing, except for 3 ways.

1- you talk with your hands, which, honestly,m is easier to train, as you dont have the steps needed to teach the verbal command LOL

2- you cannot let them off the leash in an unfenced area (unless they're like Scout, the most amazing dog ever! who had 100% recall)

3- they are not for the lazy... you cannot just yell to get them out of the garbage... You have to get up and physically pull them out of the can that they're in head first... (yes, Mouse and I have experience with this... LOL) You cannot yell at them when you spot them on the end table about to knock over your rum and eggnog so they can drink it... cuz they have turned into a lush... (and yes, that was Mouse too... She needed AA meetings after her first Christmas...), you cannot yell at them when they are trying their darndest to rip apart your mothers favorite throw pillow... (you guessed it... Mouse again) You have to get up to stop them LOL (or run for it, in the case of the eggnog, except she won, and we had 3 very sticky remote controls LOL)

These 3 items are usually negated by the face that deafies are, more often than not, velcro dogs, and will not let you out of sight. Though the scent hounds (Dachshunds and Beagles) might get themselves on a scent and wander off.... (yes Mouse again). They are fantastic at watching you, and making sure you don't get lost!

Deafies are easy to train, and most people that own deafies feel that training them is easier than training a hearing dog. There are soooo many myths out there about deaf dogs, and most people believe them until shown how easy they are. They really are no different.

Show your mom my vids!
Scout a Deaf Terrier x

And Mouse, a Deaf and limited sight Mini Dachshund (a Beagle would be a DREAM compared to a Dachshund! LOL)

I'm sure A&C will be on here to tell you way more about it, much more eloquently and articulately than I can! LOL

Oh, and I've had 7 dogs in my lifetime... 3 hearing dogs, 1 hearing dog that went deaf at 10 and lived another 4.5 years, 1 born deaf dog, 1 born deaf with mild sight impairment, and 1 born deaf with very limited sight.

I like training the deaf dogs better :)

Dogster

Honored Member
GREAT post, Sara!!!!:D LOL, Mouse and her drinking problems....:ROFLMAO: Bet she had a nast hangover, LOL.:p (okay, lame joke:rolleyes:)

MaryK

Honored Member
Fabulous vids Sara:love: LOL adored Mouse's 'pray' was she praying for divine intervention due to her alcoholic predilection - that Christmas and Eggnogs came every day of the week:LOL::love:

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Hi Dlilly

Do you have a securely fenced yard? If you don't, and can't walk a dog on a leash 4 times a day, and do all of the training on a long line, then I wouldn't foster. If you do, there is no reason not to foster a deaf dog. Clearly, recalling a dog from a distance is not something you can count on with a deaf dog so a secure fence might be essential to your being able to foster. But if the fence isn't a problem, I don't see that there is one. Fostering a deaf dog will definitely boost your skills as a trainer, no question. You'll see how much you rely on your voice to give the dog feedback, and you'll have to learn a new 'dance' of communication. Like Sara, since I've been doing it for a while now, it's second nature. But there were definitely some 'learning pains' on my part (and I considered myself a competent clicker trainer) when I adopted Calvin.

I think it'd be a great experience for you as a trainer, I'd go for it if your environmental circumstances allow.