Dachshund Wants To Eat My Guinea Pigs..

jenclerm

Experienced Member
I just adopted two baby guinea pigs yesterday...my doxie seemed very intrigued to meet them. I careful showed him one of them, and he tried to bite the poor girl! I know this is in his breed to go after little creatures.. so how the heck am I going to curve this...

I currently have her in my lap and Luke is just crying, licking his lips while trembling...:cry:

MaryK

Honored Member
First I would give him more time to adjust. Just let him see them in their cage for a while, especially if it's in his breed to go after little creatures, he shouldn't be rushed.

When he goes up to the cage and doesn't 'lick his lips' in a 'I'm gonna have you for a snack' manner click/treat him and praise like crazy.

And I wouldn't have her in my lap with him around, not for a while, as he may just be a little jealous too.

As it's in his breed, you may not be able to have them together, and definitely NOT without supervision.

Others, with more experience, I am sure will be able to help you.

jenclerm

Experienced Member
First I would give him more time to adjust. Just let him see them in their cage for a while, especially if it's in his breed to go after little creatures, he shouldn't be rushed.

When he goes up to the cage and doesn't 'lick his lips' in a 'I'm gonna have you for a snack' manner click/treat him and praise like crazy.

And I wouldn't have her in my lap with him around, not for a while, as he may just be a little jealous too.

As it's in his breed, you may not be able to have them together, and definitely NOT without supervision.

Others, with more experience, I am sure will be able to help you.
Thanks for the tips. I will try that.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I'd be very very careful if I were you. As you said - so you know - this is genetics. He's been bred to go down holes after critters. Now you're asking what to do to make him not want your "critters". :confused: Well, my suggestion ... keep them apart. Far apart. And always supervise their time together. Keep your little critters safe from your critter hunter. :oops: Wish I had a better idea, but I hate when I hear "accidents" happened, and little critters got eaten "by accident" by family dogs who are known (and bred) for critter-hunting (or not) - and the dog is looked at like a criminal. Keep them apart.

MaryK

Honored Member
I don't think there is a better idea Jackie. I too hate to hear of little ones being eaten by the family dog. Then as you say, the dogs is considered 'guilty'.

jenclerm

Experienced Member
Yeah I am in agreement, I know given the chance Luke would kill these guys :( And there really isn't anything I can do... even luring him away with food won't work. He just stares with his alert face..

the cage will eventually be lifted up higher but I can't afford more grids right now.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Do be careful, and remember those babies are stressed, because cage or not, they're seeing a "predator" up very close and personal, and it's very stressful for them. And Luke is most likely in 'hunt' mode and has one thing on his mind - dinner. If you can keep him away from the cage, that might be best for all involved. Is there a closed door that can separate them? That photo is an accident waiting to happen. :eek:

jenclerm

Experienced Member
no the isn't a door...the piggies are in the living room with us, and right now I bring Luke with me from room to room when i am cleaning and hubby isn't home to watch. But when we are at work the dogs are grated up in the kitchen. The piggies don't seem to care about him much they pretty much ignore him while they eat and play together. I got them from a breeder who had cats sleep with them.

The cage is very secure and the lid is clamped down. But I am watching Luke like a hawk and I hope he loses interest... so far he is slowly. The image above was taken on the first night when they were very new..

I am plan on giving him more trick training classes to entertain and stimulate him more, last night he just cried and cried while sitting on my husbands lap, so I gave him a training session and he was happy as can be after and fell asleep on my lap..

so it seems the piggies are stressing him out more then he is them. ;P lol.
I am going to be very careful and just hope he loses interest.