Cross Paws Problems

wobannon

Nikita is working on the trick "cross paws" but is having some troubles. She gets targeting an object and will do it across her other paw, but won't leave her paw there... Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Dogster

Honored Member
Maybe try to keep her attention with a treat??? That's how I got Shivon to keep her paw on the other side.:) Don't know if it will work though... Some dogs cross their paws naturally, so it's easier for them. Maybe she's in the wrong position??? I find that the ideal position for cross paws is the one illustrated in the photo below. Make sure to reward heavily, she'll get it faster.;)

SD&B

Experienced Member
How did you teach her to target? Does she tap the target or does she keep her paw on the target? You could try teaching duration on the target first. You could also try, for a couple of tries, asking for a split second more and not treating her until she does. Give her a chance to think about it and for her to experiment a bit. Sometimes it's hard to find that magical timing that works just right.

wobannon

Maybe try to keep her attention with a treat??? That's how I got Shivon to keep her paw on the other side.:) Don't know if it will work though... Some dogs cross their paws naturally, so it's easier for them. Maybe she's in the wrong position??? I find that the ideal position for cross paws is the one illustrated in the photo below. Make sure to reward heavily, she'll get it faster.;)
Thanks Dogster! I will definitely try to keep her attention on that side of her body with a treat and maybe she'll pick up on it! In the mean time, she almost has "pray" down! :)

wobannon

How did you teach her to target? Does she tap the target or does she keep her paw on the target? You could try teaching duration on the target first. You could also try, for a couple of tries, asking for a split second more and not treating her until she does. Give her a chance to think about it and for her to experiment a bit. Sometimes it's hard to find that magical timing that works just right.
Wow, you are totally right! I did teach her to target just by tapping her paw on it, so it makes sense that she would only tap her paw when crossing them too! I'll definitely see if I can get her to hold her paw longer on the target first. Thanks SD&B! :)

SD&B

Experienced Member
Wow, you are totally right! I did teach her to target just by tapping her paw on it, so it makes sense that she would only tap her paw when crossing them too! I'll definitely see if I can get her to hold her paw longer on the target first. Thanks SD&B! :)
You could also use a different type of target. One for tapping and one for holding. That way she doesn't lose her tap, which is also cool. I use craft foam and cut different shapes for different targets. All of mine are "hold" but are for different body parts (nose, paw, chin, etc....) However, I've thought about creating different targets later for taps with those same body parts. I've just got to get all of the hold targets I want first, which will probably be another few years or so, lol.

MaryK

Honored Member
Great thread, am about to start teaching Ra Kismet to cross paws. He does do this naturally, so maybe able to 'capture' the trick. But am keeping in mind all the above, it pays to have 'back up' as we all know dogs can do the total opposite to what is asked at times, even when it's something they do naturally, when not asked.:LOL::rolleyes::confused:

wobannon

So, thanks to you guys, she is crossing her paws and leaving them there until I click. I bring her attention to that side of her body with the clicker, she loves that thing haha and I had to teach her to keep her paw on a target. She won't do it without the clicker or on just a cue word though, so we'll keep practicing! :D

MaryK

Honored Member
Great she's doing with the clicker. Just keep on that way and eventually she'll do it with just a cue word or gesture. I have found with my boy (Ra Kismet) he will eventually give me a trick without the clicker, just a cue, verbal or hand, but it takes a while even though he initially learns the tricks very quickly. Plus it does depend on how much HE likes that particular trick:LOL: They have their favorite tricks!