Chewing. . . Grrrr

Candie

Love my Tucker but he is chewing anything and everything he can get his little mouth on. . .
Any suggestions that will make him stop?
Thank you all!

Attachments

Dogster

Honored Member
You might want to try some kikopup videos on chewing:

I also suggest keeping him busy... he might be bored and that's why he's chewing. Try trick training, it's a lot of fun for dogs and owners, and it keeps their minds active, it gives them something to work on. How old is Tucker??? If he is still a pup, his teeth might be coming in, and he needs something to chew on.

If he just likes to chew, you can get him chew toys, or, my favourite, a deer antler. Since Tucker is a small dog, you should get him a small one, preferably one that is split, like the one below, to make it easier for him.

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
The teething stage is indeed a nightmare...we have 5 going through it at the same time! Dogster has given some great references above and all I can add is having lots of frozen treats around as well as Kongs filled with goodies and then a peanut butter bung then frozen...helps soothe the gums and acts as a great distraction.

We also have lots of teething, mouthing, chewing threads already on here full of helpful info that I am sure someone with better searching skills than I can highlight for you. :D

Candie

Tucker is almost 8 months old. This started when he was about 3 months and has progressively gotten worse. He has chewed all of his chew toys.
I'm going to definately try the deer antler. I am also going to watch the videos for a little help. :) Thanks again for the advice.

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Kongs are practically indestructible and if you live in the US, they are not really expensive. Just think it'll save some good cash on other things he may chew.

Just train him to use the chew redirecting his chewing behaviour to the kong when he's chewing something else and reinforce.

Pawbla

Experienced Member
How heavy is him? He looks about 10-15kg. If it's that case, I'd get a large sized regular kong.