Buddy's Trick And Cue List

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Buddy Shawshank’s Trick List:
(some of these are cues, not “tricks” and most of these have humorous verbal cues, not the ordinary words used by other owners)

1 Loose leash walking (ey, was hardest thing I ever taught him, so I’m counting it!:ROFLMAO: )

2 Sit

3 Stay

4 Beg

5 Stand

6 Open fridge, Get a beer out of fridge, deliver it to his daddy(almost 3 tricks in one)

7 Find keys, pickup keys, deliver it to me(almost 3 tricks in one) (not my Real keys btw)

8 Rollover to left

9 Rollover to right

10 Spin to left

11 Spin to right

12 Roll up in blanket

13 Smileß-my favorite trick of all:D

14 Pick up toysßbuddy’s favorite trick:D

15 Heelwork (with eyes up on me) and can turn either direction in perfect position

16 Heelwork twirls in circle with me

17 Heelwork backwards

18 Back up

19 Fetch (but only for 3 times)

20 Cross paws(both paws in sequence repeatedly)

21 Pose (crosses one paw, holds it there)

22 Cross paws standing

23 Cross paws lying down

23 Touches my feet (form of cross paws)

24 Shy(alternates both feet to cover his eyes)

25 Headache (holds one paw over eyes)

26 Stop (freezes where he is)

27 Go away

28 Come

29 Look out the window

30 Paws up

31 Drop it

32 Lie down

33 Want ice?

34 Find

35 Circle my legs

36 Circle my legs in reverse

37 Look at me

38 Take It

39 Give it to daddy/give it to Amy

40 Does laps on cue

41 Howls on cue “sing the blues”

42 Figure 8s in my legs

43 Leg weaves

44-49 Agility cues, will run and perform each of 5 items in his yard by verbal command only, incl pole weaves.(can also follow me silently pointing at item, too)

50 Opens book on cue

53 Turn light on

54 Turn light off

55 Leave it

56 Heel (ordinary heel, is looking ahead, not at my face)

57 Leftside(stands by my left side)

58 cocks head (in progress)

59 shakes head no

60 Speak

61 Shhhh!<---one of his hardest to teach, so I’m counting it

62 head down/chin on floor

63 Kisses

64 Wipe your paws

65 Show me your good side

66 Card trick(is 2 or 3 steps)

67 Bang! (play dead with 4 feet up in air)

68 Get your leash

69 Yucky (turns head down and away)

70 Touch (targeting)

71 side stepping beside me (almost done, not quite)

72 circles one knee around and around

73 high five

74 high ten

75 push a ball or item with his nose

76 walk on hindlegs with his paws on my back

77 walk on hindlegs backwards, with his paws on my tummy, or my folded arm

78 Other side (rolls half over for grooming to other side)

79 Up (gets on top of whatever I point at)

80 off (gets back off item)

81 crawl(not the best)

82 lift (lifts whatever leg I touch)

83 go upstairs

84 go downstairs

85 wait (esp for in/out of cars/doors, etc)

86 bow

87 jump over my leg

88 leg lifts (like cross paws, but, just lifts front paws straight to front, in sequence, while facing me)

89 leg lifts while beside me

90 target spot (runs to sit where I have placed target item)

91 some of this list Buddy can do from long distance, too.

92 cop-cop (fwds or reverse)

93 hide (stands between my legs)

94 shake paw and “other paw”

95 go home (runs to his own front door, from anywhere on his block)

96 golfcart (runs and jumps in golfcart, okay, maybe that is his favorite trick, come to think of it)

97 nods head “Yes”

98 go outside (won’t do this if it’s raining)

99 go inside

100 go to mat

101 “all done” (buddy is released to play)

102 find me, and find daddy

103 play keyboard (not done very very well, though)

104 “Sexy” (humps his giant teddy bear on cue, most useless trick ever,:rolleyes: taught sort of by accident cuz I said that whenever he did that, but can be used to entertain guests for any question which ends with word “sexy”—dog will go hump his bear)

105 – 123
Can FIND/locate AND deliver 18(?) objects by name, most are toys. Locating the toy can be the hard part, but, he never gives up nor forgets what he is doing, as he runs from room to room, checks his yard, upstairs, in the toybox, all over, he keeps searching to find "froggy" or whatever.
Can also select any of these 18 items from a line-up. It was even more items, but, some of the toys he knew by name are now destroyed, so I don’t count those now.

If there are any more tricks or cues, I can’t think of them right now, but no doubt, I will think of them after I post this!!:ROFLMAO: …cuz everytime I started to finish, I remembered one more. Lol.

most of these tricks have both hand, foot, etc, signals, as well as verbal cues. Almost none of the verbal cues are “normal” cues, but funny ones instead.
:ROFLMAO:

Geez, I feel like a slacker, cuz I have had this dog for years now!! This list should be like, 400 or 500 by now....:oops:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
We guesstimate that Buddy is probably about 4 and 1/2 years old, we have had him now, for 3 and half years, but, not sure really, how old he was when we got him, he was adult.

If Buddy was only a ONE year old dog, this would be a fine trick list, for one year's work....but, not so impressive for 3+ years work....

Dogster, and SouthernGirl, i have no doubt you will BOTH pass me up, as your dogs already do about same number of tricks, and you've got much younger dogs/less years to working on your dog's trick lists,
and you are both about to pass me up already anyway!! :ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Yeah, Dilly, that loose leash, was hard for *my* dog (or, maybe it was me doing it incorrectly, or, maybe it was that my family totally allowed Buddy to pull:ROFLMAO:)
but, it was Very hard to get Buddy to give up pulling his leash. Far and away, that was THE hardest thing of all, for us anyway.
Thanks for comments! Now i feel a lil better that newbies who have just started this year are at about exact same amount of tricks!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Dogster

Honored Member
Yeah, it's not that easy to teah, especially if you have a puppy.
<-------:rolleyes:
Haha, the way I taught Shivon is a bit awkward. I had a small bottle filled with treats that I put in my pants pocket. Hard treats. So every time I took a step, it would shake, and....you get the picture. I would reward her for walking beside me and looking at me.:ROFLMAO: But this probably works for only gullible puppies, LOL:LOL:

Sorry for the derail.:oops:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OH! OH!! I remember some more tricks/cues he knows.

"Yard"------Buddy stays in his yard, will not put his foot on the street, even if i walk into street, Buddy stays in his yard til released. I am having a bit of trouble with helping Buddy distinguish the end of the cement driveway, though...that one is still in progress.

"corner"--Buddy has been trained, to stop at all corners in our immediate neighborhood, and waits til i say 'cross'. It's wordless now, just habit now, and i just taught him this cuz i used to raise children.:ROFLMAO: Buddy does not generalize this to corners he's never seen before, though, just the corners here in his neighborhood.

"cross"---Buddy knows this means cross the street. If you say cross, Buddy, even if up ahead on an extenda leash, will cross to the other side of the street.

"Let's Go"----Buddy knows that means "follow mom in another direction NOW"

"flashlight"---at night, at his last walk of the day, if i turn on the flashlight, Buddy will fall into a heel beside me. I trained this one, (wasn't as hard as you'd think) cuz, i wanted him beside me for crossing ice-covered streets, no chance of a lunge or a pull to knock me over on ice. Buddy will stay in heel beside me til i turn off flashlight.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Besides loose leash walking, some other tricks and cues that i think were hard,
were,

~Cross paws (the kind where dog alternates one leg, then the other leg, back and forth)

~Shake head "no" (oddly, nod head "yes" was much easier, but, i'd been training longer by that time, and maybe, Buddy learning "no" helped him get idea faster for "yes", who knows)

~cock head (hard for my dog to "get it")

~"Shhhh!" (stops barking).

^all of those seemed hard to me, or, to my dog.

Tricks that were easier :D than i had thought they'd be, include heelwork, or pick up toys, or get a beer out of fridge, were NOT hard, though:ROFLMAO: .........go figure.
I actually thought heelwork, was shockingly easy. It was a matter of a few days til Buddy got idea, and only a week or two, til he was Very good at it.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I think it's been both fun, and inspiring, and sort of rewarding, for all of us making lists of our dog's known tricks, all of us feel surprised really, it seems, when we do try to count them all.
I felt sort of surprised, to compare Buddy's list, from years of work,
to some newbies' list of very similar size list,:eek: and realize, although that first year or so, i did teach Buddy lots of new tricks, i must have slacked off in later years,:oops: or, we'd be well into the 100s by now. That was the surprise for me, i thought it'd be way more. But, still, i am very happy with my dog and all, it's sure not HIS fault!!:ROFLMAO: He's ALWAYS up for a lesson, ALWAYS.
i am the slacker in his eyes, i bet.

and all of us all seem to be forgetting tricks, too,
cuz every few hours i'll think of one and realize, i did not add that one. Then by time i get on computer, i've forgotten it all over again!!

here's one, that Buddy does dozens of times a day, that i think almost all dogs do, and i bet none of us thought to add it into any of our lists:
"CAR"---------when my guy or i say "car", Buddy moves off of the street, and up into the grass. Always. And now, Buddy, being "Mr. Makes-associations":ROFLMAO: often steps up onto grass at the SIGHT of an oncoming car.
all by himself, wordlessly. Not always, but pretty often.

(our neighborhood has no sidewalks, we walk in the streets here in my country-ish-suburb at the edge of town, we do not live right in the city where the sidewalks are)

lol, once i was babysitting a pals dog while he was on vacation,
and i did teach that dog some tricks while i had the dog. Owner was stunned, as he thought his dog was 'stupid'. :rolleyes: Anyway, i *thought* i had taught the dog "car" as well, and i was so so stunned,:eek: at how quickly the dog "got it", like almost instantly.
Okay, here's the funny part: When i was showing owner the dog's new tricks, i told him how quickly the dog learned "car". and it turns out--------- the owner had ALREADY taught that very same cue, using the very same word, "car" !!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: No wonder this dog "got it" so instantly!!:ROFLMAO: and there i was, thinking, either i am very good at training, or, more likely --> this dog is brilliant, to get that cue so fast!!!