Boing! Trick

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
While surfing YouTube yesterday, I stumbled across this video. I think this is a super cute trick, and I want to try it with Zeke but I wanted some input. I've always joked that Zeke is part Pogo Stick so this trick is just made for him. Any joint concerns here? It's basically a completely vertical jump, with no forward motion but I'm not sure if it's really any more stress on joints than agility. According to the vet, his joints are in good condition, so he doesn't have any pre-existing joint problems already. Mud on the other hand does not have the best hips, so I won't be doing this one with her. She's not big on jumping anyway. I'm also going to teach this to Kedo, the little JRT mix I'm working with.
Anyway, here it is!

sara

Staff member
I've already taught this one to Ollie. He has amazing hips and loves to jump... alot! LOL

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Zeke just about has this one down in just a few tries. I haven't put the BOING! command to it yet, but he's just about got it to a hand signal. This may be one of my favorite tricks now. ^^

storm22

Experienced Member
you can teach small dogs this trick aswell, its actually probably easier to teach them as most small dogs have a tendency to jump up towards people, you'd start off the same but just sitting down or something

running_dog

Honored Member
I do a less polished version of this trick with Zac, I call it "bounce" and use it as a warm up/muscle strengthening exercise. It started from him jumping to reach a ball in my hand. He had to touch but not take it.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
This is an awesome trick! Too bad I can't try it with my Golden. Maybe I'll give Victor a try with this one!

J_Sinay

I have got to try this trick. Oscar just learned the touch command (actually I learned it since I came to this site), but I think he has a natural bouncing ability. I have no idea about his hips since he is only 10 months old. I will get them checked when he is 2, but that's a ways off yet, and can't sit still till then. Think it's too early for my Lab?

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I would definitely wait. For one, he's still a baby and has some developing to do. Wait until after he's had everything checked out and his joints are better developed. You could still try just a little mini-hop(with just his front end barely coming off the ground), but not work on it a lot or put it on command. Just a little preview to the BOING trick for later.