Best Video Camera? 2 Questions.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
the recent photography thread has me mesmerized. I used to love taking photographs.

I'd love to buy my very own video camera?? Everyone has one but me. but which one to buy?

What kind do YOU use, and what features does it have that you like? What should i look for when i look over video cameras??

I am not very techno-savvy, i'd probably do best with simple video camera. (?)does anyone have any recommendations for a technically challenged person like me??

ALSO, which video edit program do YOU use??

thanks to anyone who replies!!:)

running_dog

Honored Member
Does this mean we might be getting videos of Buddy? (y)(y)(y)

Most of the time I just use the video function on my cheapish little point and click camera (Canon Powershot?). It is dead simple and fine for what I want most of the time :).

I use a video edit program that came with my computer aeons ago. But if you scout around I should think you'd find a freeware video edit program on the internet - like I just found this one a free download for home use though I don't know what quality it is. Never pay for something if someone is giving it away for free :). Like if you want a drawing/picture editing program (which you probably don't but it is a good example) Gimp is one of the best and completely FREE but everyone goes out and pays an arm and a leg for the same under a different name and in a package O_o - and then they throw the packaging out.

rouen

Experienced Member
I use my canon powershot A1100IS point and shoot when I dont want to take my other camera. The P&S fits in my pocket and would be cheaper to replace if damaged.
This was filmed with my P&S

My other camera is a samsung, I believe it's a SMX-F40 but I'd have to find the box to be sure. It shoots decent video but the photo quality leaves a lot to be desired.
This was filmed with the samsung.

ETA; I use the basic windows movie maker for editing. It's pretty straight forward to use.

sara

Staff member
I use my Cannon Powershot too. But it's an expensive one :) It takes HD video. I use Corel video editing software But I dont like it much. It's complicated and difficult to use, and very slow.

running_dog

Honored Member
Sara - HD video, I'm jealous :D.

Rouen - that looks like a little better video quality than on my Canon :), love the pigeon recall too.

I've checked and mine is an Canon A490 (only £35 in the UK now :cool:). Zac's trick video was taken with that. It gets a bit more fuzzy indoors without bright light.

I have to agree with what Rouen says. My cameras don't last very long as they tend to be shoved in a pocket so I can take the camera out at any time. It isn't quite so bad to wreck a cheapish camera when you stuff it in the wrong pocket and it's insides get gunged with leftover dog treats :rolleyes: and it is better to have a small cheap camera with you than a video camera with bells and whistles at home.

Anneke

Honored Member
I also use my point and shoot camera for filming. I have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX1. At the time pretty expensive (300 euro), but I wanted an easy, small camera, that would take good action foto's. It films in HD.
I had been thinking of getting a videocamera, but most videocamera's don't take great pictures, where most photocamera's are very good at filming.
All my vids are made with this camera.
My SLR camera did ok at filming, but this little camera is way better.

So my advice would be to get a good point and shoot camera;)

As for the video editing program, I use Windows Movie maker, which came with my pc and laptop. You can download it for free(I think) on the windows site.
It is pretty easy.

Dogster

Honored Member
Ok, I use a Canon S100, VERY expensive, but we needed a good camera...
It also shoots HD video. It is VERY complicated though, I can't figure out how to work the flash:rolleyes:, or ANY of the features, for that matter.:rolleyes:
I think a point and shoot camera would be good.:)

I can't wait to see some videos of Buddy (by the way)!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

UtonaganAtka

haha im stuck with a cheap Digi Camera Olympus model that is apparently not made anymore the model is SP-600UZ it takes both photos and videos (im sure you could get it even more cheaper than i did since it's not in production anymore? or even second-hand?? idk im very new to photography ) here is sample of video :

it takes pretty decent vid and has soun i just muted it cause i had a cold lol.

GOOD LUCK! i hope you find the right video cam for you ♥ hope to see some vids of your dog 8D

charmedwolf

Staff member
I use a kodak easyshare (2010)and a sony cybershot (2006) for both pictures and click and shot videos. I definitely use my Sony more because the Kodak doesn't like low light settings ever. The only time I can use it is in bright daylight outside. I've never had a picture come out too bright. The Sony however can let this get too bright but it doesn't happen often.

Hopefully you find a great one for you and Buddy. I can't wait to see pictures and videos of him!!

sara

Staff member
I've never had anything but a Cannon. I find them very user friendly :) I went drooling over DSLR's on Sunday... I'm in LOVE with the Cannon EOS 60D. $1200 is a bit much right now though :(

Teddy Weddy

This thread is awesome, I use my old point & shoot when recording a trick video but recently I started using my other Canon (500D) It is quite hard to focus properly. I really wat a flip video though! (y)

I used to use the Window Movie making program but accidently uninstalled it........ which is why i haven't uploaded a video in ages! :eek::cry:

sara

Staff member
I was talking to the experts last weekend (while drooling) and they said that using the cannon DSLR's for video is not easy. The Powershots are MUCH easier and get much better quality video's

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Running dog, when we canoe, i bring a disposable camera. We're pretty good, even in some whitewater, but, i just wouldn't risk a good camera in a canoe, either..

I'M SO SO LOVING ALL THE REPLIES, I'M LEARNING SOOOOooo MUCH, for me, this is allll such great info, as i'm starting from scratch, i know NOTHING, so every single word here i am writing down.