Bellas Learnt The Backstall

MaryK

Honored Member
WOW!!!!!!!! Fantastic and Bella looks truly Awesome the way she stands high and proud!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

I would love to teach Ra Kismet, how do you start teaching this trick? Just thought, maybe wait until winter, dog on back in summer clothes could be painful!

2SpoiledAussies

I've started this trick using an exercise ball to learn the difference between Stalls and Vaults, and then I'll have a friend lure him onto my back the first few times before I use commands. I believe Zak George has a video on this...

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
AWESOME!!!!!!!!:D You and Bella are just speeding through all of these tricks!!!!:eek:

How did you teach it? I need help... I can't get Shivon to get up on my back at all...:confused:
I started off in a kind of curled up position on my hands and elbows, in a position where i was surrounded on my left n right so the only place she could go if she wanted to go forward was over me. I rewarded her for 2 legs on my back then 3 then 4, i used treats over my shoulder to lure her up.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I started off in a kind of curled up position on my hands and elbows, in a position where i was surrounded on my left n right so the only place she could go if she wanted to go forward was over me. I rewarded her for 2 legs on my back then 3 then 4, i used treats over my shoulder to lure her up.
How much does Bella weigh? I wouldn't want my Missy to hurt or break my back in teaching this trick. My dad would probably say "no, you're not teaching Missy that!" so if I did I'd have to do it in secret... so that way I would only show them when the trick was complete... if I did decide to teach it. :)

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
erm Bella weighs around 16kg, not sure what thats in lbs
You could try teaching Missy on your hands and knees first as that gives you a feel for her weight and allows Missy to start to balance and land right.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
erm Bella weighs around 16kg, not sure what thats in lbs
You could try teaching Missy on your hands and knees first as that gives you a feel for her weight and allows Missy to start to balance and land right.
She's tiny! 16 kg is 35 lbs. Missy is about 22 kg = 49 lbs... she was 48.1 lbs last time we were at the vets...

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
I think it depends how they are built
Bella is slim streemlined built
Zara has stocky shoulders
And Jenny is inbetween

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I think it depends how they are built
Bella is slim streemlined built
Zara has stocky shoulders
And Jenny is inbetween
The vet did tell me Missy shouldn't go much higher than 48.1 pounds but I think she's about 49 now. I have cut back on her food intake and will be weaning her off of treats sometime soon.

I'm always trying to keep her slim... I run her hard until she's panting and tired once a day for about an hour or an hour and a half (I lose track of time when I'm having fun!). In the spring/summer I plan to run her even more when its not so blah out (muddy, snowy, wet, etc.) Then I'm sure she'll lose the extra weight, especially if she's off leash reliably by then. :)