being calm on a walk

tugidq64

Experienced Member
My dog is fairly calm before a walk but she is so on alert when she is taking a walk, ready to react at things. (mostly other dogs) Can anyone think of a way I could have her be more calm on walks? thank you. Debby and Belle

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Debby, are you saying that Belle reacts to other dogs?

Or just isn't used to the leash? What exactly is it that Belle is doing?
Explain in detail, what you mean?

tugidq64

Experienced Member
calm on a walk

Belle reacts to other dogs. I have been c/t her for a couple of years now. She is much less reactive but still reactive enough that we are very limited in where we walk. I would love to take her on more trails but whenever she is surprised by another dog or even a person she goes ballistic. So we have to stick with open areas to walk. She is always on alert when we are walking. Some of this is because she is part shepherd but part is because she is anxious. I have tried prozac with her, c/t for seeing other dogs but we still have to be about 50 ft. from another dog. When she goes to the kennel she can play with select dogs very well. Debby and Belle

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Ha, Debby, one more tip: Be sure to use "Look at Me" cue, or whatever cue you say, all the time, NOT just only for dog sightings.

Laff, but Buddy, when we were walking along and i'd practice "buddy, Look at Me" i noticed, he quickly looked around to see if there was a DOG somewhere that he hadn't spotted yet!! :msngiggle:

So be sure to confuse Belle and use it just outa the blue now and then, so Belle gets more practice to do it!!