Basic Training-obedience&behavior

Siena

Hello,
Can anyone recommend 'tried' simple books for basic obedience and behavior corrections for puppies? There is so much info out there - enough to make me dizzy. :confused:
With my older dog sick - the vet bills are piling ... so I have to look at whatever I can get my hands on for help. Thx!

running_dog

Honored Member
Better than spending money on a book start with Kikopup's free youtube videos, 100% positively excellent :-)

This is a link to a list of the videos she has available:

http://www.kikopup.com/Dogmantics/Free_Video_List.html

Here is an example, as I don't know what behaviour modification you are looking for I've randomly picked "stop mouthing and biting" but just choose what you need from the list and away you go.

If you and your dog prefer a step by step highly structured approach you might like the Sue Ailsby training levels (the early version is like a book but online and free). My sister's dog loves the repetitive approach of the levels, my dog hates it (and the repetition drives me insane too LOL) but even if you don't work the levels as such they still provide a good way of checking on progress, filling in any gaps and providing a training progression.

Siena

Better than spending money on a book start with Kikopup's free youtube videos, 100% positively excellent :-)

This is a link to a list of the videos she has available:

http://www.kikopup.com/Dogmantics/Free_Video_List.html

Here is an example, as I don't know what behaviour modification you are looking for I've randomly picked "stop mouthing and biting" but just choose what you need from the list and away you go.

If you and your dog prefer a step by step highly structured approach you might like the Sue Ailsby training levels (the early version is like a book but online and free). My sister's dog loves the repetitive approach of the levels, my dog hates it (and the repetition drives me insane too LOL) but even if you don't work the levels as such they still provide a good way of checking on progress, filling in any gaps and providing a training progression.
Hello, I will definitely take a look at this,
Thank you.

MaryK

Honored Member
All the above is excellent, so will just say with physical books, you may be lucky and find them at your local library. Can well understand about vet bills, and older dogs.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
There are loads of fabulous basic training books and videos out there, but if I can add one book to the list I'd like to. I recently read Kathy Sdao's "Plenty In Life Is Free" and it was FABULOUS!! It was an incredible reminder to constantly remind our dogs (beginning when they're puppies) of all they do right. She suggests measuring out their daily kibble ration then carrying and doling it out thru the day as rewards for good behavior. Tossing treats for calm behavior, small training sessions, working on loose leash walking, random eye contact, random heeling, etc. And if all the kibble is gone by the end of the day, no problem - who says dogs must eat out of bowls? It's a wonderful book and things are sure going to be different with my next I puppy, for sure!! I can definitely see how a puppy would try so hard to figure out how to get that next reward (extra bite of kibble), thinking thinking thinking. Good stuff.

SD&B

Experienced Member
I have that book. Fabulous. I had been thinking about a lot of those concepts and I was so very happy to see them validated for me. For my puppies, love will always be free.

Leaf Hunter

Ian Dunbar is my favorite author. I started off watching his videos, then read his free online textbook on his website Dog Star Daily (All the pages can be downloaded to PDF or printed) but he also had some really good books like Before and After Getting Your Puppy. I'd start with him.

Kikopup has a pretty good eBook that she just released on her Dogmatics website. I just ordered it last week for $15. I normally don't like eBooks but I like her and wanted to support her . I'm pretty impressed with it.

I'll also second Sue's Training Levels. She only has eBooks available at the moment, but the way she explains her levels is really good. Best book IMO that teaches you how to generalize behaviors. Which to me is one of the hardest parts about training.

Other authors I like include Patricia McConnell Ph D., Pat Miller, and Nicole Wilde.

Gordykins

Experienced Member
At the top of this page, there is a box where I entered my email address and got a free ebook. I just did it this evening, so I haven't read through very far, but so far, I think it is helpful! And it was free! And easy! Might be a good place to start.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you Jazzy and Veronica, I've downloaded it, had a quick look, will read tomorrow. Looks VERY interesting and helpful!:)(y)

sara

Staff member
The Culture Clash (above link) is an EXCELLENT book!!! (I have it :) ) totally worth the read!

madeleine

Experienced Member
Though it is not a book basic puppy behaviour, it is a book on dog language:
Canine body language by Brenda Aloff. It is a photograpic guide. I really like this book, it is well written, clear, easy to understand. Just very good! A must have for all dog owners!

The other end off the leash is also a good book! And i heafd great things about plenty off life is free.

Emily Marston

"Mary Ray's Superdog" by Mary Ray. Her book covers basic obedience, socialization, tricks and agility. Mary Ray herself has won Crufts Obedience Championship 3 times, has qualified or won every major British dog agility competition and is very successful in Canine Freestyle. I loved her book, and it covers all of the basics with easy step-by-step instructions. Great for people who are new to dog training, or just want to start from step 1. Hope this helps! :)

Siena

Thank you all for posting ... I will slowly go thru all the material and
it is very appreciated.
Sorry for the delay, so much has happened and I lost my older dog on the 12th
and I am still feeling 'in a daze' (I attached an older photo).
Happy New Year to ALL!

Attachments

MaryK

Honored Member
So very sorry to hear of the loss of your older dog. My heart goes out to you, they leave such a hole in our lives when they cross.

Happy New Year to you:)