Barking Is Driving Me Crazy!

bekah1001

Honored Member
Every time someone knocks on the door, ring the door bell, open the door/enter the house my dogs go absolutely crazy non-stop barking. Three big dogs rushing to the door in a crazy barking fiend. Even if there is a small noise or if someone knocks something over they all rush to the door and start barking and it takes a while for them to calm down. It is very frustrating, my mom just yells at them and it never works but she still yells. Jenny (lab/husky) is the worst. She is the only one who seems to be constantly barking (small little barks throughout the day) Some barking seems like attention, if we are eating or if I'm training another dog. She gets a lot louder when I'm training another dog.

I'm just really stressed from school and I have tons of test after test quiz after quiz and I just get really frustrated with them.

Any advice would be great :)

bekah1001

Honored Member
I've seen these videos but I feel like it would take a looooooong to dowith three dogs. And it is something hard to avoid, counter surfing is easy, just don't leave food on the counter until you teach them not to, chewing stuff when your not home, crate train them but barking is really hard to train not to do since you cant control the reactant.
And I also heard to teach a quiet cue but only Brody knows how to speak.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
This is what I do with Missy:

First time she barks I tell her "quiet"... if she is, I praise her with "yes! Good girl!". :)

Second time she barks, I tell her "shhh!" if she is "that's better"

If she barks a 3rd time I tell her "that's enough!" and pull up on her collar. Not to be mean or anything... just to get the point across as I've given her two chances already.

Maybe teach your husky/lab "quiet" as he's the one that barks/yips the most to start with? Treat him everytime he's "quiet" when you tell him to.

I taught Missy to "speak" first as a pup, but that just made her noisier. Now I've got her barking under control 95% of the time!!

I hope this helps!!

Honored Member
We're having a bit of trouble with barking too. Holly used to be fine but Lewis is a barker. He seems to alert to every little noise which then sets Holly off. At the moment we just say "that's enough" and if they don't stop then Lewis gets put in his crate (Holly usually stops barking when Lewis does).
We have already seen some improvement :)
Although I can see how this would be a lot trickier with more dogs. Maybe if one of them is the main barker if you remove them then the other will stop.

Evie

Experienced Member
Hmm, I'm not very helpful here as Evie isn't really much of a barker. She barks when someone comes around, but we like to be alerted to visitors, and she doesnt bark constantly, its a mix of growls and barks lol because shy dog is shy and doesn't like visitors :rolleyes:

Linda A

Experienced Member
I taught my dogs to 'quiet' long before I ever thought of teaching them to 'speak.' What I found to work in stopping the barking were 'interrupters.' That is anything that will take their attention away from what ever it is they are barking at. I may not always avoid the initial bark but at least they stop. For the most part now, when they have the urge to bark, they come to me looking for praise and a treat before ever starting. I am loving it!

bekah1001

Honored Member
Alright game plan.... Teach a quiet cue, a positive interrupter, and get them to lie down before answering the door.
I was thinking the other night that maybe Jenny might be losing her vision due to her barking more, she just turned seven. Might check with he vet.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Alright game plan.... Teach a quiet cue, a positive interrupter, and get them to lie down before answering the door.
I was thinking the other night that maybe Jenny might be losing her vision due to her barking more, she just turned seven. Might check with he vet.
I wouldn't think that she would already start to lose her vision. To me 7 isn't old because Missy is 7 and she acts same way she did when she was 3.

blacknym

Experienced Member
Ugh I'm having this same problem with Deja!! She is all terrier and like to let me know it. Barky girl loves to alert me to everything which is fine iLife to be told if something is up. The main problem is when we are all quiet and relaxing in the evening she will get up from her bed and stand in front of me and start going dizzy with barking. Sooooo annoying and unfortunately I'm finding my self getting really angry with her because I have tried everything I can think of. The only thing at the moment that gets her to be quite when she is in that state is me yelling a her in a deep voice to be quiet. I have taught her a quiet cue and she knows it but she chooses not to listen in that situation.

I'm thinking the positive interrupter might work... And then a short play session before bed.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Ugh I'm having this same problem with Deja!! She is all terrier and like to let me know it. Barky girl loves to alert me to everything which is fine iLife to be told if something is up. The main problem is when we are all quiet and relaxing in the evening she will get up from her bed and stand in front of me and start going dizzy with barking. Sooooo annoying and unfortunately I'm finding my self getting really angry with her because I have tried everything I can think of. The only thing at the moment that gets her to be quite when she is in that state is me yelling a her in a deep voice to be quiet. I have taught her a quiet cue and she knows it but she chooses not to listen in that situation.

I'm thinking the positive interrupter might work... And then a short play session before bed.
Maybe when she starts to continuesly bark you can remove her from the room or wait till she stops barking click and treat add quiet for the cue or close your hand as a hand signal.

blacknym

Experienced Member
I've tried the c/t process with her... She just barks more because now I have treats and she wants them. :p. I'm still go use that but I'm going to try redirecting her energies. Be more active with teaching her fetch that way she will burn off a bit of energy. Lol

Linda A

Experienced Member
My dogs are very good to stop barking when I tell them "quiet." Problem is, I would prefer that the barking never started in the first place as, I get tired of telling them to be quiet.

Spice is my barker and the instigator. LOL!

I think I have finally found Spice's barking "off button!" She tends to get up and run around the house to do her barking. The past few days I have been watching her closely and when I see it starting I tell her to "down." Seems that if she isn't running, she isn't barking.

I have a neighbor to the West of me who comes and goes 10 times a day often leaving the vehicle idle out front for several minutes. Every time Spice hears this vehicle she barks madly. He has been in and out of here at least five times in the past hour!

Any way, so far-so good~! It's been very quiet in my house today for a change.