Bailey The Stray

Dlilly

Honored Member
I just got back from camp today, and right as I opened the car door, I was greeted by this sickly looking dog. :(

Yesterday my mom found her on the side on the road sometime around 8pm. She is skinny has has mange. She jumped right into the car. My mom said she was super hot, and she could feel the heat radiating off of her skin. She wouldn't jump out, or even move at all, of the car when my mom got home. My mom thought she was going to die over night…. By she didn't! If we didn't pick her up, I have a feeling no one would have. :cry:

My mom says she looks much better today. She got water, and a little bit of food. Her belly, back, legs, tail, and ears just look awful, and she is very itchy. We gave her a bath with some shampoo that should soothe her skin, and what's let of her fur looks much better. We took her to the vet to get her scanned for a microchip, and she has one, and we should get a call any minute now with a phone number and address. They wouldn't give us a free exam. =:\ We were hoping they would give us a free exam, and then we would pay for the medicine she needed. We are trying to find another vet who might.

Lots of people dump their pets around here. She was on a road where there weren't any houses around. We are thinking she was dumped. If she ran off from her owners, it has at least been a month. Either these people haven't seen this dog for a LONG time, or they are going to tell us this isn't their dog because they don't want her.

So if no one claims her, we are going to either find a rescue group to take her, or we will have to raise money to get her skin treated, then find her a home. I'm hoping a rescue group will take her in. I have a feeling no one would give us any donations. :(

She loves people, car rides, and I think she would make a great family pet. I won't really know her true personality until she is healthy.

I'll keep you guys updated about her. First, I have one question for you….

What do you think she is mixed with?

southerngirl

Honored Member
I have no clue what she is mixed with. About how much does she weigh(is she big or small), does she have any stand out features(stubby legs), does she howl, are her feet webbed?
Poor baby she looks awful.:( I hope you guys can find a rescue that will take her in and treat her. Be careful with her being around the other dogs and wash you hands after touching her, she may be contagious to the dogs. Were do you live, I can help you find a rescue.

Dogster

Honored Member
Oh, poor baby girl...:cry: Before you do anything with her you have to get her well.:cry: The owners might have not wanted her, so if you bring her back they might just throw heer away again...:( But she's sooo pretty!!!!:love: OMD I would give a donation!!!! Y0u can try raising money for her....:)

She does look in a bad state, poor sweetie:cry: Please keep us posted on her progress (and state)

Hmmm, I don't know what she's mixed with but if she still has wrinkles after she's better, my guess is shar-pei mix. Maybe part lab?( the ears, muzzle and face)

Dlilly

Honored Member
I have no clue what she is mixed with. About how much does she weigh(is she big or small), does she have any stand out features(stubby legs), does she howl, are her feet webbed?
Poor baby she looks awful.:( I hope you guys can find a rescue that will take her in and treat her. Be careful with her being around the other dogs and wash you hands after touching her, she may be contagious to the dogs. Were do you live, I can help you find a rescue.
I'm not sure how much she weighs. She is pretty weak still, so she hasn't been barking that much. I can't think of a breed that is her size. She is a medium sized dog.

We have her in a separate building and we are all washing our hands after handling her. From what I've read, mange won't spread to healthy dogs, but we are being careful anyway. (Who knows, she might also have some disease we don't know of.)

Thanks, that would be great! I live in Georgia. I haven't gotten the call yet, so I'm just getting stuff prepared encase she really was dumped.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I actually live in Georgia too. Well if she really was dumped let me know and I'll start looking for shelters. I'll keep a list on here of the ones I've contacted could you keep one too so we don't contact the same ones. Also what county so I can find a shelter near you and not one that is to far away.
off to figure out what breed she might be.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Oh, poor baby girl...:cry: Before you do anything with her you have to get her well.:cry: The owners might have not wanted her, so if you bring her back they might just throw heer away again...:( But she's sooo pretty!!!!:love: What's her name???:D OMD I would give a donation!!!! Y0u can try raising money for her....:)

She does look in a bad state, poor sweetie:cry: Please keep us posted on her progress (and state)

Hmmm, I don't know what she's mixed with but if she still has wrinkles after she's better, my guess is shar-pei mix. Maybe part lab?( the ears, muzzle and face)
I was thinking those wrinkles are from either from the mange, or she possibly had a litter of puppies a while ago. That is something to think about though.

If the owners sound fishy, or say something like they lost her 3 weeks ago, we are not going to believe them. We will offer to re-home her. A lot of people will just say the dog isn't theirs if they don't want the dog….

My brother is calling her Bailey. He is taking care of her because I am taking a break from fostering. (I was supposed to get another crazy Beagle in a few weeks so I wanted to take a break) He is doing a good job with her. I'm just helping with bathes, feeding, and some walking.

bekah1001

Honored Member
Great job saving the dog!!! I say say she may be a lab/shepherd? Poor thing :(
You should start donations on kickstarter.com. It's a fundraiser platform for "creative" projects...I think Bailey would be a creative project. You can call it Bucks for Bailey!!!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
awwwww, poor baby!!
What a sweeeeet face!!

//" and she has one, and we should get a call any minute now with a phone number and address."//

GOOD ON YOU and good thinking to get the dog scanned! YAY! Hopefully, some very grateful owners will turn up soon!! did they charge you to scan the dog?

i also think the humane society will scan a lost dog for chips, too.

sara

Staff member
You can start treating her for mange on your own right now. You need to go to a farm supply store of some sort, ask for INJECTABLE IVERMECTIN (The brand name IVOMEC is more expensive than the generic, it costs less than $20 here) you will also need a syringe, HOWEVER you will NOT need to inject her, you will give it orally by taking the needle off the syringe once you have sucked out the amount you need out of the bottle into the syringe. I cannot remember the dosage, but you can find it online. It is a cattle and horse mange and parasite killer, that is used for treating dogs all the time. It is unsafe for Collies, Border Collies and some Aussie shepherds, but I highly doubt she has any of that in her. We used it on Rez dogs that looked ALOT worse than she does :). The Ivermectin has the added benefit of getting rid of most parasites (except tapeworms but it's also a good heartworm preventative)

However, you need to boost her immune system as well, but as you are on a very strict budget, you will not likely be able to afford the supplements and high quality food needed for that. However, if you can manage it, try to add beef or chicken or other meat to the food you give her. Whatever you do, DO NOT VACCINATE HER! Do everything you can to keep her stress down, and give her as much low stress exercise you can. and gentle love and affection, as long as it doesn't add to her stress.

By the look of her, the mange was more than a month coming. it takes a very long time for demodex to get that bad on a dog. Her perv. (this is actually a typo, but I like it, so instead of changing it to prev., I left it there LOL) owners probably dumped her because they didn't want to deal with the mange.

ok did some googling. Here's the dosage
0.2cc per 10# of body weight once a day, every day for 60 day for demodex,
but we only did if for 2 weeks, then gave them a weeks' rest, if they continued to improve, we didn't dose again, but if they didn't or got worse, we dosed for another 2 weeks. Cut the Ivermectin with water or cooking oil to lessen the evil taste, OR put it on a cookie (or some human food it'll soak into) then just let her eat the cookie (which is how we often dosed feral rez dogs, we'd make up a bag of ivomec-soaked dog cookies and gave them to the residents to throw out for the dogs :)

keep it refrigerated though.

OK I've typed enough. I hope this helps :)

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
Goodness gracious! Thanks for stepping up for her....

I totally agree with the Ivermectin and no vaccs - good catch there!

As for breed type - I would say Sharpei/Lab

I imagine she will look something like this when she is healthy:

She has a similar tail, earset, jowl and under neck skin fold look...

Some other Sharpei/Labs:

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Dlilly, thanks so much for stepping in and saving this dog. You're fabulous!!! I've grabbed a few off the streets in the past, and the thanks (from the dogs) and the transformations were something I'll never forget.

Sara, you're amazing. Just sayin'...

Dogster

Honored Member

Some other Sharpei/Labs:

I agree with Pawtential.:) Woohoo, I was right (for once:p I'm horrible at guessing dog breeds:rolleyes:)

Dlilly

Honored Member
You can start treating her for mange on your own right now. You need to go to a farm supply store of some sort, ask for INJECTABLE IVERMECTIN (The brand name IVOMEC is more expensive than the generic, it costs less than $20 here) you will also need a syringe, HOWEVER you will NOT need to inject her, you will give it orally by taking the needle off the syringe once you have sucked out the amount you need out of the bottle into the syringe. I cannot remember the dosage, but you can find it online. It is a cattle and horse mange and parasite killer, that is used for treating dogs all the time. It is unsafe for Collies, Border Collies and some Aussie shepherds, but I highly doubt she has any of that in her. We used it on Rez dogs that looked ALOT worse than she does :). The Ivermectin has the added benefit of getting rid of most parasites (except tapeworms but it's also a good heartworm preventative)
Thanks for the advice. We are going to have our friend who works at CDC to get her vet friend to take a sample of her skin so we will know exactly what is wrong. For now, she suggested a spray for her skin, so we are spraying her skin daily. We gave her a bath with some special shampoo, and we are going to buy some flea med soon. She seems so much better than when we first saw her, but she still looks awful.

We are thinking of collecting donations through the Atlanta Beagle Rescue since we don't feel comfortable collecting donations on our own. :oops: It just feels weird asking for money. I haven't had any luck with any rescues so far, but I will keep looking. The 'Bucks For Bailey' is our backup for it no rescue will take her.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Any update with the microchip info?

Make sure to test her for heartworm before giving the higher doses of ivermectin used to treat demodex.

Please keep us posted!
We have the phone number. We googled her name, and she is the only one with the name in our state. We found her Facebook page, and apparently she is a teacher. :cautious: We haven't gotten a call back yet and it goes to automatic voice message, but we are still calling every day.

Dlilly

Honored Member
I agree with Pawtential.:) Woohoo, I was right (for once:p I'm horrible at guessing dog breeds:rolleyes:)
She is too small to be a LabxShair

Some other Sharpei/Labs:

She is way to small to be a Lab x Sharpei mix. I think she has the wrinkles on her belly and legs because of her loosing weight…? I really don't think she is a Sharpei mix, but she could be if she was mixed with some other breeds.

Dlilly

Honored Member
I actually live in Georgia too. Well if she really was dumped let me know and I'll start looking for shelters. I'll keep a list on here of the ones I've contacted could you keep one too so we don't contact the same ones. Also what county so I can find a shelter near you and not one that is to far away.
off to figure out what breed she might be.
Any rescues around Atlanta are fine. :) I contacted the Atlanta Lab Rescue, but they are full. I'm e-mailing a bunch of rescues again tomorrow.