Backwards Figure-8... My Holiday Challenge With Mouse

sara

Staff member
I've decided to push the envelope with Mouse... She seems to have finally figured out that she CAN think for herself, and not just react to me.... So I've decided to try something fairly difficult....

I am going to teach her to do a backwards figure-8 using ONLY shaping. (well, except for using a target stick to get her backing up at first to give her someplace to start)

Day one (last night)

I used the target stick to teach her I wanted her to back up between two towers of dog food cans. she caught on quickly and was soon doing it without the stick (and without knocking down the cans :rolleyes:), so began shaping. I have her backing up and partially around the first tower of cans... But we have an unintended trick too... she now plunks her butt down and throws her head back... like a blonde flicking her head back saying "aren't I Gawgeous?" LOL I'll see if I cant think up a signal for that... and put it to cue... too cute!

We'll work on it again tonight, see if we get any further... Once I get her going around the cans, I'm going to try to get her doing a backwards Figure-8 around my legs...

I wish I could film this, but I have to train in low light, as Mouse (who's deaf) does not see well, and the "clicker" is an LED light. So you will not get to see a video, until she knows the trick and we can do without the clicker.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
YAY for Mouse!! Good work Sara!!
I bet Mouse will surprise you yet!! GO MOUSE, GO!!

the stacked cans idea worries me, could you not use lightweight boxes instead? Or even boxes of food items? Or, maybe Mouse is not as clumsy as Buddy gets when he is excited!

sara

Staff member
The cans are only three high, they wont hit her, and she doesn't knock them over... well, except when she tried on purpose lol Now she doesn't hit them at all.