Discussion in 'General Dog Training' started by JazzyandVeronica, May 23, 2014.

1. JazzyandVeronica Experienced Member

When you're teaching a trick or a behavior with multiple parts...and you're back-chaining...

do you train only the first behavior until it's perfect, or once there is a rudimentary understanding of the first behavior, do you go on to the second, third, etc and then link them together - perfecting as you link?

I'm teaching V. a multiple step trick and I think focusing solely on 1 step at a time is boring to her...but while the first step isn't hard and she gets isn't flawless and performed in it's entirety without prompting yet either...

any thoughts either there a "right" way to go about doing it?

2. srdogtrainer Experienced Member

I'm not sure what the 'right' way is, but I am always teaching my dog a few new tricks at a time and I think it would be fine to work on multiple parts of the chain at once.
  3. JazzyandVeronica Experienced Member

A trainer friend of mine gave me the same advice on another forum. Actually she recommended doing it that way to keep the dog's interest. V. and I are working on a multi-step trick and I have been following the advice and working on all 3 behavior chains at the same time and it seems to be going really well!
    kassidybc, MaryK and Ripleygirl like this.
  4. MaryK Honored Member

I always teach Leaf a few new tricks at the same time, otherwise she, like Veronica, get's bored stiff! I've found that once she has the general idea of what I want, then we move onto perfecting each trick. Even with that step, I don't spend too long on the one trick, otherwise 'ho hum Mom haven't YOU got it right?" seems to be her attitude *YAWN* so boring!:sleep:
  5. JazzyandVeronica Experienced Member

:LOL: I think Leaf and Veronica have allot in common!
    kassidybc and MaryK like this.
  6. MaryK Honored Member

:LOL: They have! Leaf is Veronica's number one fan. She want's to be just like her - a true DIVA!!!!!!:LOL: And everything has to be pink too! Just like Veronica!
    kassidybc and JazzyandVeronica like this.
  7. JazzyandVeronica Experienced Member

:LOL: Oh no! I hope they don't start a "Mean girls" club! :eek:
    kassidybc and MaryK like this.
  8. MaryK Honored Member

OMD!!!!!!!!! Perish the thought!:LOL::eek:
    kassidybc likes this.