Are Onions Bad For Dog Health?

Discussion in 'Dog Treats' started by Vizzla, Jan 15, 2012.

  1. Vizzla Experienced Member

    The last year we can read more and more information about how onion is really bad for your dog, so bad the dog can die from it. Ive never heard about this before and though I read all these reports no one I know has ever had a dog that has become ill or died due to onion. And these people have often given their dogs leftovers.

    I worry about this because we use to give our dog small bits of meatballs or sausages (from the supermarket) but they ALL have onion-aroma or onion-spices in them. So how dangerous is this?

    Our dog doesnt like treats from the petstore. And I even found that some of the treats from the petstore allso has onion spices!

    So I get confused. If onion is that dangerous to dogs, wouldn I have heard about this from owners? Someone somewhere should have had a dog that got ill...

    Do you give your dog treats or leftovers from your dinner even thoug it contains onion?:unsure:
    My-Dog-Tanner likes this.

  2. charmedwolf Moderator

    Yes, onion are bad for dog because the onion has an enzyme that harms the dog's liver. Garlic, however, doesn't have the same enzyme.

    Are you sure that it is not garlic that is in the food? It tends to smell like onion but without the harm. Most dog treat places around here use garlic because dogs love the smell of it.

    Sometimes, I will give my dogs leftovers if it has onions but only if it is one that has onion powder and not actual onion but I am quite lucky that my dogs don't like onions. Thought they can smell the garlic a mile a way!
  3. Vizzla Experienced Member

    okey, it only says "onion" on the dog treats, dont know which kind. We never give him leftovers, he gets a pice of meat when i cock. If I cut the chicken or meat, Ill give him a raw piece instead of leftovers. I will be more carefull but he love his sousages :(
    tigerlily46514 and My-Dog-Tanner like this.
  4. Adrianna & Calvin Experienced Member

    Hi Vizzla

    I know this is an old thread! But I'm new here and poking around and found it :) A good rule of thumb for onions is that you need to stay under 0.5% of the dog's body weight. So even a few onion rings could cause problems for a tiny dog.

    Unlike cats, dogs seem to do ok ingesting low amounts of onion, even chronically--onion powder was often included as an ingredient in foods and treats in the past. Cats have reportedly gotten into trouble from eating very low amounts of onion, and no onion powder or broths should be fed to cats.

    Also, just as an FYI, garlic contains the same toxic ingredient as onions -- we just don't use garlic in the same quantities. Any of the Allium family members (so leeks, shallots, etc.) can cause red blood cell damage due to n-propyl disulfide. There haven't been many studies on garlic in dogs, but one shows that 5 grams of garlic per KILO of body weight can cause changes in blood work (though the dogs didn't become ill). Five grams is about one gigantic clove; most people put a clove of garlic at about 3 g.

    Hope this helps!
    Dogster and tigerlily46514 like this.
  5. katzand Well-Known Member

    I know this is probably a dead thread, but just in case someone is checking it. I want to agree with the warnings here.

    Yes, onions can be bad for your dog.

    There is research around I think that onion or garlic in any form can destroy your dog's red blood cells and cause anemia. Aside from the fact that onion and garlic will give your dog terrible gas, anemia can cause far more serious problems like weakness, vomiting, breathlessness, and lack of appetite. So trace amounts may be ok, but try to avoid giving too much.
    MaryK likes this.
  6. blacknym Experienced Member

    Onions are toxic or so i have been told. Mushroom, grapes and chocolate are also very bad.

    Ive heard a little bit of gralic is OK...but not a steady diet. I personally dont give it though.

Share This Page

Real Time Analytics