Another newbie!

princessbride029

Hi everybody! I'm another newbie to the site - looks awesome and fun! I was given the link by a new friend on dogwise.com. I'm looking forward to the challenges!

My only problem so far in training my Golden puppy has been holding myself back from trying to train her too many things at once! I have so many tricks I want to teach her and I'm impatient to get to them all since it's so much fun. :)

I'm glad to be a part of the new site, and I look forward to learning a lot! :dogtongue2:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Princess, it is a pleasure to have you here at the dog trick academy! :dogsmile:

I wouldn't consider enthusiam a problem in dog training!!! :) I would see it as a blessing as most people don't even spend 5 minutes per day training their dog. :) But I do understand what you mean ... Within a month there will be a new challenges section to the website that will be very exciting. I hope to see you there! :)

Jean

snooks

Experienced Member
Princessbride good to see u here from dogwise and good to have more Goldens anytime anywhere. This is also a nice friendly informative place to explore. My signature pic is my 4yo Golden Chisholm. She, Kimber (the 1yo golden), and I are working on cross paws. Goldens are good at PAWS. :dogwink:

Welcome and take a look at the challenges. How old is ur cutie and what is her name? Post a picture when you get a chance. Have fun, ask questions, dispense treats!! :dogtongue2:

maven

Welcome :) Princess Bride is the best movie in the history of movies. Except maybe for one or two others.

princessbride029

I have to agree on the "best movie" thing... :dogtongue2:

I am usually good at figuring out computer/internet things, but for the life of me (I must be temporarily blind) I can't figure out how to post a picture on here! I know it's a dumb question (yes, I believe SOME questions ARE dumb... haha), but could somebody help me out? Thanks! :dogbiggrin:

princessbride029

OH! And P.S.

My puppy's name is Cassidy! She is almost 5 mos old, and I've had her since she was 8 weeks. STILL working on potty training, but getting better (it's hard because we live in a 3rd floor apt and refuse to use puppy pads - OUTside only!).

I feel a little behind on her training since I've had her for so long and she only knows 5 or 6 tricks, but she still needs some shaping on most of them anyway. :dogrolleyes: Our next feat, which I have been putting off and dreading for some time now, is loose-leash walking. For all I know she'll catch on right away, but for some reason I've been dreading it.... lol. She's getting so big, however, that her pull on the leash is reminding me of why you train that while they're small - pretty soon she'll be dragging me! :dogwub:

snooks

Experienced Member
AWww how adorable is Cassidy. Very cute name too. Believe me the sooner you start leash training with a Golden the better. They are very physical dogs and tend to use their bodies a lot in expressing their joy of life. The key to you and your puffball being happy walking together is channeling that physical part of them into what you want your pup to do.

I usually start by hooking on a leash with the loop cut so it won't get caught on anything and letting them drag it around to get used to it a bit. I do supervise and provide treats and distraction. Chewing on the leash I redirect to a toy or treats and give praise. I train without putting pressure on the leash after doing loads of research but everyone has their own style.

You can preload the loose leash walking (LLW) by luring your puppy at first to walk beside you and click treat when he's close beside you. Do this without a leash, with a leash you can drop if puppy gets scared and in a safe low distraction place like your house at first so you can get the puppy's attention. I do a 2 step click/treat 2 steps click treat to make it clear that paying attention and watching where I am means treats. This was the biggest improvement to my puppy's LLW suggested by my clicker training. Don't expect big distances at first. Do really short ones and keep the rate of reinforcement high. Don't lure for a long time, maybe a couple of days until puppy starts thinking ah-ha this is what she wants. Then you hold treats and clicker in one hand and click and hold the treat down after click in the appropriate spot.

Clicking for loose leash every 3-5 seconds keeps the puppy closer and makes success more certain. You always try to set up for success where you can. :dogblush: Also don't worry about being "late" training things. My boy Golden learned all his LLW, got his CGC, started agility, rally, obedience, and more all after 6 years old. Goldens LOVE to work for you. Smaller is easier since they can pull 3-4 times their weight if they decide to, but you'll do fine.

princessbride029

Thanks, Snooks! I appreciate the advice!

I tried this the other day. Cassidy's main problem, I think, is that she associates treats/training with being in FRONT of me. So when I try to reward her on the leash, she immediately runs in front of me and sits, waiting to be told what to do! Lol, very cute, but NOT effective for walking anywhere! Hahaha. I'm going to try teaching her to "get in" as I saw on here today so we're starting from the right position... perhaps good LLW will follow from there? :doghappy:

snooks

Experienced Member
With Goldens if you keep up a brisk pace you might find it easier to catch Cassidy doing it RIGHT! :dogbiggrin: When you go slow and the dog gets distracted it's much harder to hold their focus. Have 12 or so treats ready in your hand for quick dispensing and don't expect too much distance at first. Click about every 5 seconds or less or every 2-3 steps. Lure at first if you need to but don't lure for much longer than a day or two and not all of the time.

The biggest thing that got my puppy's attention was the shorter distance at first and high rate of reinforcement. Good Luck. ! :dogbiggrin: