Aliens Abducted My Dog!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Okay, so you all must be thinking I've completely lost it. Lol, maybe I have, maybe this was all a figment of my imagination....

Wednesday, Mud and Z went to the vet for their vaccs. This time, I went to my 2nd choice vet, because my 1st choice vet is in another town...he is cheaper than 2nd choice vet--SUPER CHEAP--$34 for ALLLLL yearly vaccs, including Bordatella and Rabies, plus regular checkup. 2nd choice vet is still fairly cheap, ~$60 all together. But, he is soo much closer that really the gas to go to 1st choice vet would have made it about the same. Both vets are very very good, it's just that I know 1st choice vet very well, and he's seen my dogs more because that's who I usually go to. Anyway...so this time, went to 2nd choice vet. Zeke has not seen 2nd choice vet before, ever. Always 1st choice vet, and they are very good with him.
So, here's all the things that made me think this visit would not go well for Zekers:
-Never been there, never met vet.
-Much smaller space than 1st choice vet
-Bath right before vet--and he hates baths. But he HAAAAD to have one before going.

In we go, and Z is acting totally normal. Mud is of course being her usual happy go lucky self, just thrilled to be with more people.
We walk down the narrow hallway to the room, where the two "strangers"(to Z anyway) await--the vet, and the vet tech. Mud happily volunteers to go first of course. Vet tech carries on a conversation with Mud(lol)...TAIL WAGS from Zeke. What the....???????

STUNNED, absolutely stunned, I just about hit the floor.
Mud gets her shots and Bordatella and check up, and of course, triple dose of belly rubs for good measure.
By this time Zeke has spotted the cat across the hall. GREAT, he's in eat mode. So he's staring down this cat who is loving taunting him...while the vet is doing the rub-down and check-up stuff. Z has no clue anything is going on. Vet says something to him, rubs behind one ear...Z looks back at him for a moment, lays his ears back, licks his lips, tail wags.

WHO IS THIS DOG???? He's not freaking out??? He's not trying to get away? He's not cowering? What on earth is going on???

Vet tech holds him--no freak out, still staring down Mr. Kitty. Shots administered, Z is oblivious.

Then comes the Bordatella. NO, NO, NOT THE NOSE!!! This is where he lost it. But even then, for Z, he really didn't lose it. He ran over to me, I held him, and they shot the nasty stuff up his nose, lol. It was all over, and he was back to staring down the cat--not the usual velcro, I need Mom behavior after something scary.

So we leave the vet and I'm still stunned. After resting at home a long while, we go to the park for a walk with a friend of mine. Z does many of his tricks, closer to traffic than normal(on leash, and traffic was rather busy by this time. Totally focused on tennis ball.
And as if all this wasn't enough.....then he spins, sits, downs, comes to left side, and HEELS perfectly for my TALL MALE FRIEND. With a little direction to the tall male friend, of course, lol.

So seriously....who took Zeke, and who is this BRAVE dog I have now???

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Or cat whispering?? :dogwink: I think Zeke needs a kitty to stare at next time he visits Dr.Doolittle!:dogtongue2: I think kitty abducted Zeke's brain! Zeke left vet overcome by rapture and joy - and visions of kitty on his palette. Ithink Zeke was a bit overdosed on endorphins - courtesy of Captain Kitty. :dogsmile:

reveuse

WOW Z! ........ Ro too had a similarly shocking vet visit when he went in august. Hadn't seen vet since pre-man incident way back in may for his annuals........... figured for sure he was going to eat vet and all of the techs (men) as well...... and was a total love bug. Think its the cats in the vets office , they are part of a secret alien breed .......

ps - now really late for work lol

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol, yes cats must have super powers of some kind.
So, since Z did SOOOOOOO much better at this vet, this may become our 1st choice DOG vet...can still go to original 1st choice for horses, etc. He was so much more relaxed afterwards, and even right when he walked in the door.

Yay Zekers. ^^

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Wow! So you found a solution to Zeke's vet troubles...just hire someone to hold a cat in the room...LOL! That is great that Zeke was so good at the vet! Shots can be quite a challenge for dogs.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
For Z it's not necessarily the procedures, it's the other things FOR the procedure. Like being picked up to be put on the table, if necessary...being held, so he'll sit still for everything--by a stranger. Being in close proximity to strangers--even though he's met them all before at my 1st choice vet, he just takes soooooooooo long to trust someone. The vet we went to this time let me hold him when he did need held, but the rest of the time he was so locked on to the cat that he didn't need held, cause he wasn't paying any attention to what was going on. Mud of course just loved getting attention, even if it did involve shots and stuff up her nose, lol.

sara

Staff member
WAY TO GO ZEKE!!! And awesome job!

kitties are theives, apparently they are good at stealing minds too!!!

I am terrified of having to take Oliver to the vet... he hasn't been since I first got him 2 years ago. His fears of strangers, and especially strange men are going to make it extremely tough... fortunately, I dont vaccinate for rabies (we dont have it here) and I do all the other vaccines myself. I also groom, bathe and train myself, and though we are working towards Oliver being able to be touched by strangers... he's still a LONG way off! I would really love to get him in to check on a heart murmor discovered by my vet 2 years ago at his first visit, but he would be waaayyyy tooo stressed to be able to check on it.

sara

Staff member
Fortunately, I have the best vet in the world, who would be very willing... should he find the time. Having the best vet in the world, means alot of other people think so, and he's VERY busy... and I'm not willing to use another vet.... ever (he is never allowed to retire, or move LOL)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol, bound to the duties of keeping your dogs healthy for life, huh? ^^ Very nice that you have such a great vet. Maybe he could semi-retire and just be your personal vet and training prop? ;)