A Dog A Car And A Soccer Ball.

MaryK

Honored Member
My boy Ra Kismet is soccer mad, he has the soul of a true soccer player, and as such doesn't like being parted from his soccer ball at all.

However, he does at times, become a little over enthusiastic with the balls, resulting in a punctured ball which of course will no longer roll.

Today was one such day, when he punctured his latest ball (we should have shares in companies which make soccer balls). So my long suffering partner went off to buy a new replacement ball.

On arriving home, with the new soccer ball in the back of the car waiting to be pumped up, he came inside with a broad grin on his face and asked me to 'come see what Rakins is doing'.

Lo and behold, there was my boy, jumping all around the car trying to get his new ball. We asked him to come inside but nope, the kid wanted his ball! All he did was to run half way down the path, turn back with the 'hey don't you silly humans know what a chap wants' look on his face and when told not yet little fellow (it has rained and mud everywhere), proceed to make his point even clearer to us silly humans by running, not to where his ball is usually kept, but straight back to the car!

No fooling him, he knew just where his new soccer ball was, and he wanted to play, there and then!

Suffice to say he got his wish, who can resist a soccer mad dog???:D Ah well, back to 'mud cleaning duties 'yet again, it actually rained here!!!!!!!!!!

brody_smom

Experienced Member
My boy Ra Kismet is soccer mad, he has the soul of a true soccer player, and as such doesn't like being parted from his soccer ball at all.

However, he does at times, become a little over enthusiastic with the balls, resulting in a punctured ball which of course will no longer roll.

Today was one such day, when he punctured his latest ball (we should have shares in companies which make soccer balls). So my long suffering partner went off to buy a new replacement ball.

On arriving home, with the new soccer ball in the back of the car waiting to be pumped up, he came inside with a broad grin on his face and asked me to 'come see what Rakins is doing'.

Lo and behold, there was my boy, jumping all around the car trying to get his new ball. We asked him to come inside but nope, the kid wanted his ball! All he did was to run half way down the path, turn back with the 'hey don't you silly humans know what a chap wants' look on his face and when told not yet little fellow (it has rained and mud everywhere), proceed to make his point even clearer to us silly humans by running, not to where his ball is usually kept, but straight back to the car!

No fooling him, he knew just where his new soccer ball was, and he wanted to play, there and then!

Suffice to say he got his wish, who can resist a soccer mad dog???:D Ah well, back to 'mud cleaning duties 'yet again, it actually rained here!!!!!!!!!!
I'm thinking of getting a soccer ball for Brody. He likes to use his paws a lot to push his tennis balls around. He pokes at them and stomps on them. I wonder what he would do with a soccer ball. Does Ra Kismet just bite them or does he bop them around a bit? Do you have any video of him playing? I would love to see it! One thought... have you tried inflating the ball really hard so he can't sink his teeth into it? Our old shepherd could puncture balls very easily when they were a little on the softer side, but had a harder time when they were really well inflated.

MaryK

Honored Member
I'm thinking of getting a soccer ball for Brody. He likes to use his paws a lot to push his tennis balls around. He pokes at them and stomps on them. I wonder what he would do with a soccer ball. Does Ra Kismet just bite them or does he bop them around a bit? Do you have any video of him playing? I would love to see it! One thought... have you tried inflating the ball really hard so he can't sink his teeth into it? Our old shepherd could puncture balls very easily when they were a little on the softer side, but had a harder time when they were really well inflated.
Ra Kismet bops them around for a while. The accidents happen when he's getting a bit tired, plus my older dog Zeus loves to chew the balls and has wrecked a few (he's now banned from being outside during a 'soccer match') and I think this has given Ra Kismet the idea that he can pick the inflated ball up and shake it, which he does with the wrecked balls, not realizing that it will puncture them. We've changed to basketballs at present, they're a bit cheaper, and my partner does inflate them really hard too. But somehow Ra Kismet can still manage to 'pop' them, as it's not really chewing per se, more getting 'mouthy', he's always been a mouthy dog.

I think Brody would just love a soccer ball, or basket ball they work just as well, especially if he's poking the balls. Ra Kismet taught himself to play soccer. He'll actually 'head' a ball if you throw it up - I think 'head' is the correct term, LOL I'm not a football fan at all.

I do have a video, will upload it for you:) I think you'll also see a wrecked ball, compliments of Zeus, in the video:eek:
Ra Kismet Bends It Like Beckham:)

Be warned, your lawn will end up wrecked! Ra Kismet is a little slower in this video than normal because he'd already played for a solid hour in the morning, and just come home from a very long walk, so not up too top warp speed.:) You'll see how he mouths the balls, which is what causes them to pop at times.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Here he is, posing with his ball:)

A True Soccer Player Is Never Without His Own Ball!:D

View attachment 2518

"Paw On Ball" is one of his favorite tricks, he taught me that one:D(n)
Too cute! Love the vid, too! I have a couple of old basketballs in the shed I can pump up for him. We'll give this a go today.

I have to ask, Mary, where does the name Ra Kismet come from? He and Brody really look like they could be brothers.

By the way, I have relatives in Adelaide, well, sort of. My step-sister's son and daugher-in-law and her family are there. She is Australian, but they met while she was here in Canada. They got married here, then moved to Australia. We all laughed when he told us they were moving, as he is so squeamish about bugs and spiders. I hear they are quite large down there!

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Well, he got very excited when I brought out the basketball. Luckily, there was one fully inflated. The last time I used the air pump in his presence, Brody tried to eat it! Anyway, he enjoyed chasing it, but used his teeth a little too much, so I brought out my clicker and some treats and only clicked and treated for using his paws. Then I decided I wanted him to use his nose as well, so I put some treats in a little dip in the lawn and put the ball on top. When he pushed the ball with his nose to get the treats - CLICK! It only took about 10 times for him to get it, then I started to say the word "push" as he was doing it. I think I like the word "bump" better, so I will use that next time. It took a little of the fun out of the game for him, but hopefully that will come back.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
He is adorable!! Deja loves her big balls as well. LOL

Let us know how it goes with the balls Brodys_mom!
Couldn't get your video to work. Is it just me?

Edit: Never mind. For some reason, it works in the reply, but not in the original post.

She is so cute. Brody just wants to bite the basketball. He actually managed to pick it up in his mouth and carry it a couple of times. I didn't think his jaws were big enough, but he did it!

blacknym

Experienced Member
Humm that's odd... At least you got to see one way or an other. Lol

Deja is the same...people are always surprised at the bald she can pick up. :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Too cute! Love the vid, too! I have a couple of old basketballs in the shed I can pump up for him. We'll give this a go today.

I have to ask, Mary, where does the name Ra Kismet come from? He and Brody really look like they could be brothers.

By the way, I have relatives in Adelaide, well, sort of. My step-sister's son and daugher-in-law and her family are there. She is Australian, but they met while she was here in Canada. They got married here, then moved to Australia. We all laughed when he told us they were moving, as he is so squeamish about bugs and spiders. I hear they are quite large down there!
Yes do give it a go, Brody just may love it and actually bring the ball to you for a 'kick off'.

His name is Ra - after the Egyptian Sun God cuz I was so miserable having just lost Zeus' sister Tiger Lily and Rakins brought sunshine into my life again. And Kismet, that's a bit longer story but briefly, I was just looking around for a No Kill Shelter, saw one and wrote in their Guest Book saying I had lost Tiger Lily etc. Email next day saying they had a young puppy, didn't know if he was male/female who had been rescued from death row! Long story short, would I consider him? Yep, even before I knew his sex, he was MY BOY - so "Kismet" is because Fate took a hand in bring me my ray of sunshine.

I've thought that every time I look at Brody that he and Ra Kismet could be brothers and boy, I'm sure they'd love to party together:)

I'm English so can understand how your relation feels. It's not the size which counts here, it's the bite in the little ones which is so bad (been there done that) plus all the other creepy crawlers, snakes etc. both on land and in the sea (sharks an other nasties). I much prefer Melbourne and Sydney to Adelaide but that's just my personal preferences.

MaryK

Honored Member
Sounds like Brody's going to get it with the soccer/basketball.(y) I didn't have to do a thing with Ra Kismet, he's totally self taught, well apart from becoming a 'soccer Mom" and yelling encouragement from the sideline:rolleyes: He won't play unless he has his fans outside with him:D:rolleyes:

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Sounds like Brody's going to get it with the soccer/basketball.(y) I didn't have to do a thing with Ra Kismet, he's totally self taught, well apart from becoming a 'soccer Mom" and yelling encouragement from the sideline:rolleyes: He won't play unless he has his fans outside with him:D:rolleyes:
Ya, he really likes playing, but won't really play on his own yet. He needs me to keep it moving for him, otherwise he will just start to chew. The first basketball is starting to look a little ragged, but at least it's still holding air! My old german shepherd/chow chow could pop a soccer ball, volley ball or basket ball in seconds. Game over very quickly! We had to make sure the kids never left any ball they valued out in the yard or they'd be toast.

MaryK

Honored Member
Ya, he really likes playing, but won't really play on his own yet. He needs me to keep it moving for him, otherwise he will just start to chew. The first basketball is starting to look a little ragged, but at least it's still holding air! My old german shepherd/chow chow could pop a soccer ball, volley ball or basket ball in seconds. Game over very quickly! We had to make sure the kids never left any ball they valued out in the yard or they'd be toast.
Great! Thought he would love to play soccer. :D LOL don't hold your breath on Brody playing by himself Ra Kismet refuses to play unless someone plays with him too. Just sits there with a long mournful face!:cry: It's a dog's life isn't it!:rolleyes:

Zeus can pop/wreck a ball in seconds, though not because he plays with them, he takes a 'scientific interest', using his teeth, as to what makes them roll around.O_o Anything more strenuous is left to Ra Kismet!